F2P Mage and range underpowered

quelmotz

My rant is about F2P mage and range being underpowered.

IMPORTANT:Before you noobs start saying "shut up you (insert curse word here), F2P doesn't pay so they don't get updates!", i know the f2p doesn't pay but look at the amount of weps and armor melee has!

COMPARISON:

Melee has 10 types of weapons (dagger, scimitar, longsword, shortsword, battleaxe, 2h sword, mace, hatchet, pickaxe and warhammer.) Ok so pickaxe and hatchet suck but they still have 8 weps. Mace, warhammer, dagger, shortsword and longsword are quite useless but they still count as weps, dont they?

Melee has very good armor, all the way from lvl 1 (2 types..omg), lvl 5, lvl 10, lvl 20, lvl 30, lvl 40, and even corrupted dragon armor. WTH

Important notice:ranged is weaker in lower levels only. When you get higher, it becomes much more powerful.

Ranged has 3 types of weapons (shortbow, longbow and crossbow(only normal what the hell is the use of it?)

Furthermore, the longbow stinks. Its damn slow.

Ranged only has some crappy leather armor and studded leather armor and green dhide. The leather and studded leather are extremely lousy and the only substantial one is green dhide. Why isnt there "corrupted blue/red dhide"??

Mage has a GRAND TOTAL of 1 type of weapon...even for members...(staff obviously)

Don't let me get started on mage armor... they don't even have proper pants...WTF. The max mage bonus you can get is like +30.. when range is like +60 or something and melee is +70 or something...

NOOB:"Give some solutions, noob!! Stop talking about the problem!!"

LOL...

OK down to the solutions. Melee should be nerfed? That isn't a real solution to the problem since its mage and range thats underpowered.

NEW types of ranged weps:

Range should be given a few crossbows, maybe up to mith? Maybe javelins/some other throwing weps? Maybe there should be some "in between" ranged armor, something like snakeskin, crocodile skin, etc just to fill in the gaps.

Mage should get some new robes, maybe dark wizard robes, new kind of robes like "sorcerer's robes, arcanist's robes?" And definitely wizard robe bottoms. A kind of table:

-Blue wizard robes lvl 1

-Dark wizard robes lvl 10

-Magical Robes lvl 20

-Sorcerer's robes lvl 30

-Arcanist's robes lvl 40

Ok i know there are armor like splitbark and mystic that have the same mage lvl req as these but these should be weaker than them since they are f2p.

Maybe they should have variations of their weapons, like normal staff, oak staff, willow staff, maple staff, yew staff, etc.

Maybe f2p mages should also have wands. Wands are fast weapons but are weaker compared to staffs. Maybe a new kind of wep: orbs? Orbs can be 2h or 1h. 1h orbs should be a mix of staff and wands. The 2h kind should be much more powerful but quite slow and heavy.

If you want to give criticism, try and make it constructive and don't flame/spam.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly gotta dissagree with this. F2P Mage is perfectly fine for its situation. at 60 you basicly kill any melee close to or lower your level, Range wise, once you hit 70, Green Hide, Maple bow and Yew Arrows [aka Addy Arrows] = Win. you obliterate mages and even leave a large mark on melee'rs too. and to slightly veer off, tanking in F2P is almost WIN. You kill Melee'rs, You kill Magers, and you kill Rangers plus Pures on the side lines too.

Mage on NPC's though... thats another story. :-$

Popoto.~<3

Hey Matt,what are yew arrows?

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I honestly gotta dissagree with this. F2P Mage is perfectly fine for its situation. at 60 you basicly kill any melee close to or lower your level, Range wise, once you hit 70, Green Hide, Maple bow and Yew Arrows = Win. you obliterate mages and even leave a large mark on melee'rs too. and to slightly veer off, tanking in F2P is almost WIN. You kill Melee'rs, You kill Magers, and you kill Rangers plus Pures on the side lines too.

Mage on NPC's though... thats another story. :-$

How about magic level 80? Or 90? Or when your combat level is above 70? You don't own as a mage then.... Melee will hit 16's and higher just as fast as you do, more often than you do... AND have the capability of a 2H combo. I think its generally accepted that magic in F2P has been neglected for too long.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

If you think range in f2p is underpowered.. You seriously have not pked lately in f2p have you? Rangers are by far the stronger majority and under lvl 50 a decent ranger can get any meleer to run... And any high lvl with decent range can even make a rune armor guy run.

Either way though, I'd agree that it would be nice to see some updates for some of the f2pers that have achieved the higher lvls... a better mage outfit for 80 mage/range would be awesome... it wouldn't have to be mystic or something even close to as good as that, but better than what is there atm would be cool.

Cutey_mitzy.png

Cutey_Mitzy.png

Cutey_mitzy.png

Cutey_mitzy.png

Range > Melee in FTP, don't know what on earth you are talking about. For its level, magic >> melee in FTP. That being said, higher level mage spells would be nice for FTP, but that can't be done without all of the rest of the book being opened.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Range > Melee in FTP, don't know what on earth you are talking about.

A couple weeks ago, I was pking F2P with range. I was 87 combat with 85 range (which isn't too bad). Eventually, a lvl 84 decides to fight me. He had 63 defence, and <75 str and attack stats.

He ran me out of food before half his inventory was gone. :wall:

I mean, this guy was the average main... And the fact that it was 85 range Vs 63 def is just messed up.

207pd9y.jpgHubs55.png

~Fire cape achieved at combat lvl 80~

BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~

Then you were unlucky. I tried range pure, it out hit melee every time. What were your outfits\invos? If he was tanking in full rune and you were in d hide, it would make a big difference.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I would a agree that a mage at higher lvls is rather ineffective against melee and range... but a mage in a pking team is lethal... If you added higher lvl mage spells to f2p then you would make all the pvp teams just swap to mage and ko peeps faster and then mage would be overpowered... I think for being an imperfect world they did a decent job of balancing everything.

Cutey_mitzy.png

Cutey_Mitzy.png

Cutey_mitzy.png

Cutey_mitzy.png

Range > Melee in FTP, don't know what on earth you are talking about. For its level, magic >> melee in FTP. That being said, higher level mage spells would be nice for FTP, but that can't be done without all of the rest of the book being opened.

Att 110+ combat, 99 ranged doesn't stand out that much anymore tbh, not to mention mage, who gets totally screwed by other lvl 110+'s.

Att 110+ combat, 99 ranged doesn't stand out that much anymore tbh, not to mention mage, who gets totally screwed by other lvl 110+'s.

That would be because the ideal range tank would be below 100 combat ;)

DeviledEgg24.png

i hate how people say mage doesn't have new robes in f2p. *cough* RUNECRAFTER ROBES AND THE ROBES FROM FOG*cough* Mage is supposed to be more of a support in f2p, you have all the vital skilling spells like superheat and high alch. Range tanking owns in f2p, you have enough defense and range bonus with full rune and green d hide body. Melee/range and mage are just fine.

Range isn't overpowered in F2p, its just the pures in bounty hunter. dont take a small fraction of the problem and use it as if it range only revolved around pures. Im saying range as a whole. And how come you idiots assume im talking about pvp. its part of combat, but you can also fight with monsters. And how come ranged does not have yew bows and rune arrows?? no answer. And the idiots who think they are so good like the guy who said yew arrows and the other one get lost and make your own dumb thread.

Mage is underpowered in F2p and you also have to spend like tens of thousands of gp just for like 15 min of pking. And its still not effective. Bind is just pathetic. Teleblock requires very high mage. AND mage is not a support skill, BTW. When jagex updated RSC to the present rs, they said they wanted to make mage not a support skill. Like real.

And what kind of crappy robes do mage have? The rc robes need 50 runecrafting and that is hard to get in f2p. Fog robes degrade and cost an absurd amount of tokens to recharge and buy. Combat robes cost 1000+ tokens. Youll need to play for like 2 weeks 1h per day to earn that if you're good in fog. And it is very hard to earn money in f2p even with maxed out resource gathering skills.

magic >> melee in FTP
Care to explain? I'm assuming you're talking about solo PKing.

A couple weeks ago, I was pking F2P with range. I was 87 combat with 85 range (which isn't too bad). Eventually, a lvl 84 decides to fight me. He had 63 defence, and <75 str and attack stats.

He ran me out of food before half his inventory was gone. :wall:

I mean, this guy was the average main... And the fact that it was 85 range Vs 63 def is just messed up.

Range doesn't really do well in full armoured fights. In no armoured fights though, that's where it really shines. Heck, I often use 74 ranged for a range/2h style over my 94 strength scimi/2h setup.

Then you were unlucky. I tried range pure, it out hit melee every time. What were your outfits\invos? If he was tanking in full rune and you were in d hide, it would make a big difference.
Range pures own pures and mains. And how is meleeing in full rune 'tanking'? Is there any offensive F2P melee armour that I've overlooked?

Teleblock's available to a F2P mage now.
This does absolutely nothing for solo PKers (although it's a dream come true for clan PKers like me :D )

Mage is supposed to be more of a support in f2p, you have all the vital skilling spells like superheat and high alch.
Where did you get this idea that mage is a 'support skill'? It's meant to be it's own combat skill, just like melee and range.

i hate how people say mage doesn't have new robes in f2p. *cough* RUNECRAFTER ROBES AND THE ROBES FROM FOG*cough*
Sorry but I'm not prepared to get 3k/4k GoP tokens/205 FoG tokens per death in F2P. That just means I'm spending more time in the minigame than I am PKing.
The_Maddest.png

Range pures own pures and mains. And how is meleeing in full rune 'tanking'? Is there any offensive F2P melee armour that I've overlooked?

Take a look at the cost of green d hide vs. rune - the ranger dies and loses 30k, the meleer dies and loses 250k. The ranger should be tanking in rule legs\helm too; the poster made no mention of his or his opponents outfits.

What needs explaining? Up to its cap in FTP, an equally leveled mage will destroy a meleer.

DeviledEgg24.png

What needs explaining? Up to its cap in FTP, an equally leveled mage will destroy a meleer.

Hmmm... maybe, maybe not.

[hide=Theoretical stuff going on here -]Setups: semi-pure melee going in against a semi-pure mage.

Combat level 50 (55 is where "low level" ends, going with the BH definition).

Melee has - 40 Atk, 59 Str, 51 Hit, 5 Def, 37 prayer (protect from magic, all prayers needed available).

Mage has - 64 Mage, 47 Hit, 45 prayer (protect from melee, all prayers needed available).

The mage level is also the 59 required for fireblast, +5 for less chance at splashing.

The Meleer could also have 66 magic before getting to level 51 - that's excellent magic defense. Let's assume his magic level is 37, enough to tele anywhere in F2P.

The Meleer would wear monk robes, amulet of strength, steel helm, steel kite (would take these off). Would also have a rune scim and rune 2h as weapons.

The Mage could also have 95 str/atk levels... but this would only help in his (worthless) 2h combo. It doesn't help with defense, and he wouldn't have it because of autocast would flip off.

The Mage would wear the best magic gear f2p could buy - combat robes, amulet of power, dragonfire shield. The Mage would wield a staff of air - (economically speaking this makes sense...).

Lets compare the maximum hits -

Mage - 16

Melee - 16/19 (could be +1 but TIF's calc may be incorrect)

How about defense?

Mage - slash) 24 (and then add in the + 10 def)

Melee - magic) -2, after removing) 0 (and then add in the 37 magic / 5 def)

What about attack?

Mage - magic - 34

Melee - scim slash) 54, 2h slash) 69

prayer bonus? melee +11, mage +2

Inventory spots -

Melee - 2h, str pot, law rune, air rune, earth rune - 23 food.

Mage - law rune, air/fire rune, earth rune, death rune - 24 food.

(with bind) + nature, water - 22 food

Its difficult to calculate who would hit more often, especially since I'm not entirely sure how magic levels play into magic defense, or even how magic hits are calculated (1 random number or 2?) Although, having the numbers next to each other shows that the difference in bonuses favor the mage by 10, but the inherent mage defense of having magic levels makes up for it.

What I have done here is shown that a semi pure meleer has a much better attack bonus than a mage, although (surprisingly) the mage has a much better defense bonus to a melee than a melee has to a mage. The melee still has a better prayer bonus, and with lower leveled prayers, would take about the same time to use up all his prayer as the mage would.[/hide]

My conclusions -

Accuracy (factoring in defense) - about the same, maybe favors the mage (slim margin at best).

Hits (factoring in 2h) - about the same, maybe favors melee for a lucky 2her.

Food - depends if mage takes binds or not, generally favors mage by 12/14 hp.

Risk - favors mage... mage dies, loses up to 10k worth of amour vs 80k for melee

Cost - favors melee... only thing sunk is cost of food. Runes for the Mage could be upwards of 60k.

With a semi-pure mage being better than a semi-pure melee in 3/5 categories, I would say that at level 50, range stinks. ::'

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Maybe they only seem underpowered because you are a high level.

At low levels, magic owns both, at medium levels magic and range own, at high levels range owns and melee starts getting strong, and at really high levels melee just destroys.

You think you can't get any kills as a mager? Stick to low level pures then.

Take a look at the cost of green d hide vs. rune - the ranger dies and loses 30k, the meleer dies and loses 250k. The ranger should be tanking in rule legs\helm too; the poster made no mention of his or his opponents outfits.

Cost is irrelevant. Full rune for melee is the standard gear for melee, and green d'hide with coif is the standard gear for rangers, but they get obliterated in this so they use rune (melee gear) to beef up their defensive stats. But of course, you have only experimented with pures and you have no experience with ranging with rune on verus a fully armoured melee opponent ::'

Sidenote: Why does everyone use the rune helm/legs setup when rune helm/chain one gives better stats?

Oh, now we're only talking about mages with exactly 59 magic or under?

If the account you're talking about is a mage pure, then yes it is great until around 40 combat where you reach 59 magic. Meleers at that level will hit around 12s with scimitar so magic will hit higher and probably more accurately. Pity the "mage >> melee" principle doesn't work with anything other than magic pures under 40 combat.

The_Maddest.png

Cost is irrelevant. Full rune for melee is the standard gear for melee, and green d'hide with coif is the standard gear for rangers, but they get obliterated in this so they use rune (melee gear) to beef up their defensive stats. But of course, you have only experimented with pures and you have no experience with ranging with rune on verus a fully armoured melee opponent ::'

Sidenote: Why does everyone use the rune helm/legs setup when rune helm/chain one gives better stats?

It's typical in members because of the accumulator relying on a ranging body, it tends to carry over.

I have used range tanks extensively, making it quite obvious that rune works. It's called tank armor for a reason :roll:

Oh, and cost doesn't matter? Which would you rather PK, 5 250k rune pures or 5 30k range pures? Which would you rather die in? If you go in welfare gear, yes, your going to lose more fights.

Oh, now we're only talking about mages with exactly 59 magic or under?

If the account you're talking about is a mage pure, then yes it is great until around 40 combat where you reach 59 magic. Meleers at that level will hit around 12s with scimitar so magic will hit higher and probably more accurately. Pity the "mage >> melee" principle doesn't work with anything other than magic pures under 40 combat.

Glad to see you got the point.

DeviledEgg24.png

You think this is bad? I remember a time when F2P Ranged was limited to oak bows and steel arrows. There have been many good additions to F2P since last year; maybe you just don't know about them. For magic, Combat Robes and Druidic Robes work wonders aside from the recharging costs. I personally love Runecrafting robes. They are so worth it. Also, teleblock was recently added to F2P. :thumbsup:

F2p Ranged is decent I guess. We have green dragonhide coifs, which are alright except for the recharging. I would like to see yew bows added to F2P, but I think that rune arrows is over doing it. You should get 99 Ranged for constant 18s. It works wonders in Bounty Hunter when you no arm fight.

Alex_Lei1993.png