Josh Homme pixel avatar

runemetsa

Well, as some might know, Queens of the stone ageis one of my favourite bands. They are just outstanding, and so is their lead singer/guitarist Josh Homme, who IMO is a damn cool fella'.

song examples of QOTSA: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Well, I've never had a character avvie, so I thought why not make one?

Well, Josh Homme was obivous choice.

But I didn't want pixel avvie to resemble him. I wanted it to look exactly like him. So what did I do?

A photorealistic pixel!

I used ref picture (see under) and copied colour for as realistic outcome as possible, and this is what I came up with:

joshhomme2ap0.png 1769joshhommebk7.jpg

Yes, I know it's not perfect, but if it would be EXACTLY the same, who would believe it was hand pixelated?

Basically, I picked every single pixel color separately and coloured them into linework I made.

yes, it is not as smooth as original, and yes, it looks flattened, but ast least you can see the work of hand there.

Rate/comment/CC

[No flaming, thankjoo]

It's still slightly too big filesize, so I'll try to resize it tommorow

(unless someone else wants to?)

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg

[Star Wreck][PM me][My gallery][DeviantArt][Cool T-shirts!]

[iron Sky - Trailer is now out!]

Woo and yay for QOTSA ^_^. <3 Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret.

The pixel looks good, but there's not a whole lot of CC to be given to a... well, traced image.

The nose looks a tad off especially.

In my opinion it'd look great as a grayscale image.

Something like this;

• qotsadr3.png

(If you don't like me doing this, just say and i'll take it down)

knkcopy.jpg

a pixel eh? looks to me like you just shrunk the picture and applied a filter, unless of course you added on 42 layers of antialliasing yourself.

pixel art is only when each pixel is placed by hand.

but then again....Kyuss does rock..... its just not a pixel.

Megadedhed.jpeg

Sigs made by Runemetsa, Nuzza, Dark_Shadow, Kuroi and Me.

liquid blobs attacking eachother

American Anime... YAY!

a pixel eh? looks to me like you just shrunk the picture and applied a filter, unless of course you added on 42 layers of antialliasing yourself.

pixel art is only when each pixel is placed by hand.

but then again....Kyuss does rock..... its just not a pixel.

FYI, I DID place every pixel by pixel

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg

FYI, I DID place every pixel by pixel

i would believe you, but i zoomed in closely and used a software to check the AA and everything. there is not more than one pixel on the face that is the same color, so answer me this.. how do you put down over 67 different colors, and anitalias INSIDE the antialiasing 30x?

a zoom: http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9156/untitledxf2.png

Megadedhed.jpeg

American Anime... YAY!

i would believe you, but i zoomed in closely and used a software to check the AA and everything. there is not more than one pixel on the face that is the same color, so answer me this.. how do you put down over 67 different colors, and anitalias INSIDE the antialiasing 30x?

a zoom: http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9156/untitledxf2.png

Rune Mesta Coulda Pixeled that i know i could ( it would take me a while ) but I could. You said theres 67+ colors Very easy to do that if you are a pretty seasoned( dont think i spelt that right) Pixel artist like im not. I've seen it done Before. Before you Start Flamming him down saying that he just Shrunk it Down remember that Pixeling is Very easy once you get the hand of it. :shame:

Darth~

darthdudeli9.gif

When you scale it down, it doesn't distort the face as much as it shows in his drawing. I think it wasn't just shrunk and he did a good job on it.

__

kuroi

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

Cassiius|Level 70 Night Elf Preist|Runetotem

Sambora|Level 37 Tauren Shaman|BurningLegion

Rune Mesta Coulda Pixeled that i know i could ( it would take me a while ) but I could. You said theres 67+ colors Very easy to do that if you are a pretty seasoned( dont think i spelt that right) Pixel artist like im not. I've seen it done Before. Before you Start Flamming him down saying that he just Shrunk it Down remember that Pixeling is Very easy once you get the hand of it. :shame:

Darth~

lol oh really? and how could you get 30+ anti aliasing colors down PERFECTLY? i know people who have been pixeling for 5+ years and cant do that. you know nothing about pixels and go on, make that right now.... prove it to me. and yes i actually did reaserch before i made my claim, so just just throw of my oppinions because "uh its mega hes a dumdum!" and pixeling very easy? this is coming from a budy maker who cant pixel worth [cabbage]....

Megadedhed.jpeg

American Anime... YAY!

I agree with you that pixeling is hard, and darth may have made some inferences thought by you to be inexperienced but that was no reason to call him a buddy maker that can't pixel worth a cabbage. I don't think he shrunk the image and said he pixelled it himself. It may be unfeasable, but think about it: why would someone with somewhat of a reputation on tip.it claim to have done something without actually doing it? And make it as noticable as you think it is? Things are not always as they seem, and you need to think if that applies to this situation.

___

kuroi

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

I spent 2 and half weeks of my life picking the colors to look same as possible, so I really am not pleased to hear comments like "U n00b joo only reSiz3d it!!11".

And why would I cheat and say it's done by me?? I had ref picture next to that all the time to take colours straightly from it.

If you don't believe me, resize same area from original picture and see if it looks the same. It doesn't.

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg

so just just throw of my oppinions because "uh its mega hes a dumdum!" and pixeling very easy? this is coming from a budy maker who cant pixel worth cabbage....

Owned so hard please?

I find myself doubting that you got the colors 100% from the original picture... and truth be told it would be convient if you provided some work-in-progress pictures

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

earliest I found:

joshgm5.png

joshhomme0fg7.png

joshhomme1ji8.png

joshhommeavviekm7.png

And paint happens to come with magical tool called pick color...

Edit: and here is compared

what I made:

joshhomme2ez8.png

Original picture resized:

resizedpc5.png

ps. I've never made a buddy in my life :roll:

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg

lol oh really? and how could you get 30+ anti aliasing colors down PERFECTLY? i know people who have been pixeling for 5+ years and cant do that. you know nothing about pixels and go on, make that right now.... prove it to me. and yes i actually did reaserch before i made my claim, so just just throw of my oppinions because "uh its mega hes a dumdum!" and pixeling very easy? this is coming from a budy maker who cant pixel worth cabbage....

Bravo. A Budymaker who cant pixel worth Cabbage.. That my friend is one of the Lamest comebacks i have ever heard(read). By the Way i dont Care if i can Pixel or Not all i Know is im Not some guy who spends all his time on his Computer making pixels so other people will notice him and him Flamming down other People when he doesn't think somthing is right about what they've Done. Thats just crossing the line of C/C and Getting to Hypacritical about things other people have done that you dont like. I mean Come on Runemesta Is a very good Pixel artist I belive he drew that picture of Josh Homme.

Oh and Runemesta. 9/10 (his Nose looks wierd sorta)

Darth~

darthdudeli9.gif

earliest I found:

joshgm5.png

joshhomme0fg7.png

joshhomme1ji8.png

joshhommeavviekm7.png

And paint happens to come with magical tool called pick color...

Edit: and here is compared

what I made:

joshhomme2ez8.png

Original picture resized:

resizedpc5.png

ps. I've never made a buddy in my life :roll:

Looks Very good. and By the way Megadedhed was talking about me being a buddy Maker. Like i said im my Other post 9/10 cause his nose looks kind of wierd lol but verygood over all.

darthdudeli9.gif

Bravo. A Budymaker who cant pixel worth Cabbage.. That my friend is one of the Lamest comebacks i have ever heard(read). By the Way i dont Care if i can Pixel or Not all i Know is im Not some guy who spends all his time on his Computer making pixels so other people will notice him and him Flamming down other People when he doesn't think somthing is right about what they've Done. Thats just crossing the line of C/C and Getting to Hypacritical about things other people have done that you dont like. I mean Come on Runemesta Is a very good Pixel artist I belive he drew that picture of Josh Homme.

Oh and Runemesta. 9/10 (his Nose looks wierd sorta)

Darth~

its called a filter.... and fyi, im done talking to you. your obviously some stuck up kid who thinks hes better than everyone else. you wanna know why i pixel? its called a job. i make $50 a week, more than most 16 year olds do drawing. and as to the comeback.. you did claim pixeling was easy. so you agree that you cant pixel, but you think its easy? and fyi pixeling is a tecnique, its placement dot by dot.

Megadedhed.jpeg

American Anime... YAY!

mdh, cut the spam, we all know hes an ignorant nub who cant pixel, but why rub it in his face?

here is why i think he did make it.

his proof is vaild nuff for me. i was an imployie in his shop, and i know for a fact he knows how to pixel. at first, i too was hesitant to believe he made it but what really proved to me he made it was the guys nose. look at the bridge of his nose inthe original picture. look how its kinda curved into his face? now look at his version. look how the bridge of his nose curves? it goes kinda away from the face. you cant do that witha filter. nuff said.

wop wop

Megadedhed-I don't know why you are still flaming him. Is it because his pixelling looks too real? Just because it is unfeasable doesn't mean he didn't do it..If I were him, I'd wish I hadn't shown it to anybody right now. I think it looks awesome runemetsa, regardless of what megadedhed says, you should ignore him and same to everyone else in my opinion.

Offtopic- by the way has anyone realised that his name is runemetsa and not runemesta, lol?

_________

-~Kuroi Ame~-

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

It must be a pain using so many colours :shock: But the outcome is superb :) The only suggestion is to smooth out the cheekbone, eyebrow and the nostril.

Btw, how long did it take you to make this?

Thanks for first on-topic comment on thread.

I took me about 1 ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâý - 2 week to do this. First time I actually did something with patience, btw.

I guess it's better for me to keep it like this, as if it would look even a bit more like ref picture, there would be another whole load of people with loads of "evidence" that would "prove" that I wouldn't have done this :uhh:

I wonder why some people can't accept the fact that I did this... Is it envy or something?

@ Kuroi - I think I've never seen my name spelt correctly :P

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg

I never said I created the colours myself, or if I for some reason gave you that idea, I correct it now: I didn't make those colors myself, they are 100% from original picture.

And for second thing, this really didn't take any special talent to make, it was just a long colouring-job to a linework I made using ref picture as an example. The colour picking from picture took me that long, not mixing all colours. THAT is what I meant by picking the right colours. I could never make those colours myself, and I bet no one could. I'm not quite sure if "color pick" is a right term then (my paint isn't in english), so I'm sorry if I confused you.

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg

I like it, it's a really nice piece of work. Almost looks like a different person though, with the shortened forehead, hooked nose, puffy frown and such (reminds me of count olaf :wink: ).

olaf.jpgjoshhomme2ez8.png

I give it an 8/10 for looking so nice and realistic =D> but comes short as it almost looks like a seperate person than what you intended #-o

I actually agree it is a pixel, just by the background. Mega, your not the only person that pixelates, many artists here know how it's done. Look at the backdrop of the face in the orginal in the copy. If he just cropped it and pasted it, it wouldn't look anywhere near as the same.

On topic: Amazing job. It took my 5 minutes to really believe it was a pixel. Again, amazing job. Other then the nose and the eye, it's almost perfect.

I actually agree it is a pixel, just by the background. Mega, your not the only person that pixelates, many artists here know how it's done.

when did i ever say that.... as i said..people here hate me....

but here is my one last thing

hahahahajq9.png

i spent the past days cutting out pieces, resizing them, and adding filters of posterize, gausian blur, and sharpen.... look similar? that is why I still dont believe.

Why are so hard trying to set me up as an cheater? Is it maybe just because of the fact that I was able to make this and you were not?

First of all, things which I "failed" in (because of lazyness) which makes this different:

1. shading of the nose. It's too dark in my picture. I couldn't make it light enough, so I left it out as like it is

2. Nose. It is different, and AFAIK you cant change shapes in photoshop CS2. Or at least I don't know how to.

3. Ear. I left the top out.

4. Hairline. In my pic it goes lower than in ref one.

5. Eyes. Shape of shadows around the eye isn't the same, I wanted to make it bigger and angrier. My picture has a high point in eye shadow. Also, notice the darker wrinkle atop eye.

I'm not very experienced with photoshop/other programs, so it would take me longer to do all that filtering than to actually pixelate one. And why on earth I'd try to claim it to be my pixeling work if I wouldn't have actually done it? For pleasure of cheating? FYI I don't get any satisfaction from cheating people.

It looks alot like original, IT IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE IT :wall:

Why can't you just accept the fact that I did it. You might be able to do nearly the same in photo editing programs, but I did not because I wanted to make a pixel avatar!

In case you don't have anything on-topic to say, please stop that kind of posting. It's spam.

ps. Personally I think that you just took my picture and edited it with sharpen tool rather than make a new one :roll:

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg