Burnt Out Sky Tutorial - For Photographers

greenslime89

In this tutorial you will need a version of PhotoShop, I used CS2 in this tutorial but I believe you can create this effect in PhotoShop Elements.

You will learn how to take a photo with an overexposed sky and add light streaks to it.

Starting image:

backups280smallku6.jpg

Final Image:

5by7smallnr5.jpg

Step one: Open up the photo you want to add the effect to.

burntouttutorialsmallag6.png

Step two: Duplicate the layer.

burntouttutorial2smallbh1.png

Step three: Open up the radial blur window. And set it to zoom and set the source to the brightest part of the image. Then click OK. If itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s not how you want it you can undo it and try different settings. For this effect to work it must be set as zoom. For this image I have set the amount to 30.

burntouttutorial3smallas5.png

burntouttutorial4smallnq2.png

You should get something like this:

burntouttutorial5smallwq3.png

Step four: Adjust the opacity of the duplicated layer until you can see the original layer faintly.

Step five: Select the eraser tool and set it to 200 pixels as shown. You donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t need to be too accurate for this.

burntouttutorial7smalleo7.png

Then, erase the parts of the duplicated layer that you donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want affected by the blur (I erased the foreground in this case). You should get something like this:

burntouttutorial8smallez6.png

Step six: Flatten the layers as shown. You may want to save the layered image as a PSD before you do this.

burntouttutorial9smallzs4.png

Step seven: Then save your image. (File>Save As) I normally save it as a PNG or a High Quality JPEG

This effect has limits though. You can only use it when you have a fairly busy background so that not too much sky is shown.

ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s my first tutorial in PhotoShop so could you tell me how you found it?

That looks really easy to follow, Looks like a great guide.

What version of Photoshop?

In this tutorial you will need a version of PhotoShop, I used CS2 in this tutorial but I believe you can create this effect in PhotoShop Elements.

it?

That looks really easy to follow, Looks like a great guide.

What version of Photoshop?

Well, as I stated in the tutorial it was CS2 that I used, but I think earlier versions can be used.

Thanks for all the comments.

GIMP has it's limits.

so does photoshop...

but then again, gimp is free...

not only that, but it has more filters, more defualt texts, more manual image editing tools with less random effects, it also has more brush capibility, and is free, all of which is better then photoshop.....

wop wop

It's a nicely done tutorial, but i'm not really a fan of the outcome.

Same here, and there's also a easier way to do this. I was going to post it earlier but didn't.

Make a selection with the lasso tool where you want there to be a radial blur. (if it's a big selection feather it about 15 pixels to clean up messy areas, if it's small feather it about 5 pxiels) Copy your bottom layer and radial blur the selection, reduce the opacity of the top layer to reduce the radial blur.

Protect the Light...

• 1 year later...