Posting Real Life Pictures

1.9 - Volunteering Personal Information

For your safety, personal information volunteered on the site is not recommended and often edited by the staff. Personal information consists of real life names, age, gender, location, email address exchanges, instant messenger ID's, password/account information, school information and other similar details. This also applies to posting personal pictures of users, their schools, homes (that include their exact locations), etc. This applies to all forums, threads, posts, private messages, profiles, avatars and signatures.

This is the rule that tip.it has against people posting pictures of themselves in real life. I think that this rule is somewhat flawed. There really is no reason that I can see as to why real life pictures are not allowed. If it is due to pedophiles then this rule is seriously flawed because it will not protect against that. Note the area that I have in bold. There is a post in Off Topic about getting to know people. People giving away names, states, personal details. A picture, does not give away any details about yourself (unless your address is located within the picture). A picture of you in your room or in your backyard does not say who you are, where you live, or rather any personal details that someone would not know from seeing you in real life.

I love to see who is behind the PC and who I am playing with. It gives me a better sense of community within the game rather then just getting to know words on a page. I think that the rule should be revised to allow real pictures and not personal details. I have a few pictures of my own that I would love to post :) .

I think that a sticky in one or all of the boards should be made for Real Life Picture posting as long as details are not given about yourself.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, though they do have justification. If you were running Tip.It, would you want to even risk the possibility of getting sued for some pedophilic clild molestation? even if it had nothing to do with tif, just the fact that the posted there woud make the forums seem a less secure place.
So they could not be sued for broadcasting public information (the off topic post)? Myspace can't be sued for a similar charge? I don't think this would happen.. I would really like a higher up mod to read and consider this. Or at least give me a justification as to why.

Also, in the rules, they could state that they are not to be held responsible for such actions occurring against the user.

I agree with you, though they do have justification. If you were running Tip.It, would you want to even risk the possibility of getting sued for some pedophilic clild molestation? even if it had nothing to do with tif, just the fact that the posted there woud make the forums seem a less secure place.

Would you really think that would happen? I mean like MSN/Yahoo/AIM usernames aren't exactly hard to get a hold of around here. On top of that, locations, ages, etc. are frequently posted. Someone doesn't turn to pedophilia just by seeing a picture.

Would you really think that would happen? I mean like MSN/Yahoo/AIM usernames aren't exactly hard to get a hold of around here. On top of that, locations, ages, etc. are frequently posted. Someone doesn't turn to pedophilia just by seeing a picture.

Yeah, there's a whole topic that goes against that rule (Get To Know Me, Get To Know You - or whatever it's called) and the mods haven't locked it. In fact, they're opening posting in it. Seriously, most people in Off Topic know my name, age, location, email, ect and some people have even seen pictures of me. But go ahead, try to find me. I've never given out my street address to anyone (other than those on Facebook) and I don't live in a small town. I think we should be allowed to post our rl pics because, like you said, someone isn't going to turn to being a pedophile just by seeing a picture.

Also, what does a picture do for most of us than let us put a face with a personality we've come to know. As stated before, if someone knows you in real life and sees your picture on here.. Well too bad, they already know what you look like so if they're a pedophile and they're after you, you were screwed before you posted your pic.

I agree, seeing a picture does nothing.

Possibility is pedofile looks at it. Just like they can look at anyone in the street anytime they like.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

I agree, seeing a picture does nothing.

Possibility is pedofile looks at it. Just like they can look at anyone in the street anytime they like.

as stated in the other posts. Seeing a picture doesn't help a pedophile in any way.

Who should we discuss this with to get it changed? if we can persuade them to do so.

You know, the longer that thread in Off Topic stays open, the more it angers me that Cad was banned for the rl pics on the frappr. When I read that rule, I understand it as you're allowed to post them but they don't recommend it. So why is it that Cad was banned for something that isn't actually against the rules?

You know, the longer that thread in Off Topic stays open, the more it angers me that Cad was banned for the rl pics on the [ForbiddenSite]. When I read that rule, I understand it as you're allowed to post them but they don't recommend it. So why is it that Cad was banned for something that isn't actually against the rules?

Fair enough, in the interest of being consistent that topic in OT will be locked until it can be discussed amongst the Admin Team and a decision is reached.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

There should be a rule that you can post pictures of yourself, at your own discretion and Tip.it should just state that they by no means have any responsibility to such bad things happening (which is a joke anyway because no pedo is going to know where you live from posting a real life picture). And plus on the TIF Frappr (which CE organised - outside of TIF) we post RL pictures of ourselves as well, and were perfectly safe doing that. Just look at myspace and Frappr with all the personal information which is far worse than posting pictures of yourself and everything is fine there.

I think tip.it should be a bit more lenient and realistic to when it comes to people's safety especially when you wouldn't be in any danger.

~~Eelspremiers~~

Edit:

You know, the longer that thread in Off Topic stays open, the more it angers me that Cad was banned for the rl pics on the [ForbiddenSite]. When I read that rule, I understand it as you're allowed to post them but they don't recommend it. So why is it that Cad was banned for something that isn't actually against the rules?

CE was banned for Frappr? What a Joke tip.it! It didn't even have anything to do with tip.it, other than the fact that it had members from tip.it on it. Big Deal. :roll:

Eel, you're quite right about the Myspace and sites of that sort. They're far more dangerous than a gaming fansite. If pedos are looking around here for kids who will easily give out any info they're asked, they're not very good at what they do.

Now I'd also like to bring up the fact that the majority of TIF users are spread out around the United States and Europe. If you think about it, that's a lot of area for a fairly small number of people (mostly referring to Off Topic). What are the chances a pedo is going to end up in the same town as someone on these forums? It seems quite rare to find someone living in the same town as you around here. So if you're not simply giving out your home address, you're pretty safe. A pedo isn't going to find out anything other than what you look like from your picture.

By the rule quoted; any personal information is posted at the users risk.

It's advised not to be done; but never once states that you can't do it.

So technically; bans for posting real-life information should all be revoked since they never broke a rule :-s

On the side: my community has been posting real-life pictures since it started. No harm came from that; and IMO it made it somewhat more of a community; since you actually had a sense of a person on the other end - rather then faceless text - if you get me.

I have posted pictures of myself (In IRC) and given out enough details to find my address on several occasions. If someone really wants to find where I live it would not be overly difficult. I use this username on a variety of forums and auction sites. My location is no great secret. Maybe if I was a 8 year old there would be more reason for secrecy but I am not. People see me in real life every time I walk out into the street.

I personally can not see any harm in allowing real life pictures. If a pedo really wants to track someone down there would be better places to use then this forum anyway. After locating their victim they would probably try to make contact via MSN or Y! where there conversation can be much more fluid has a much lower chance of being monitored.

The users should not be punished and restricted due to the low risk of a serious crime being committed.

The users should not be punished and restricted due to the low risk of a serious crime being committed.

There isn't even a risk in my opinion, considering the situation where in. Pedo's aren't dumb, they wouldn't use a forum to get information out of people (especially one with restrictions such as TIF). They'd use a chat service if anything. And I doubt they'd choose an RS related fansite to spot their victims.

Edit: And we have an option to let others know our MSN, AIM and Emails (which is optional at our own discretion) and these I believe are much more easier ways in which Pedo's can stalk younger users, so why can't we have the option to have personal photos of ourselves posted at our own discretion which has less chance of a Pedo stalking us in real life. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from here. :wink:

Surely the most dangerous thing is allowing people to post their own domains, since anyone with half a brain can do a whois and find out their exact street address.

Fact: people who are interested in finding you don't need you to post your details on a forum.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Something else I might want to point out while we're on this topic of Rule 1.9...

1.9 - Volunteering Personal Information

For your safety, personal information volunteered on the site is not recommended and often edited by the staff. Personal information consists of real life names, age, gender, location, email address exchanges, instant messenger ID's, password/account information, school information and other similar details. This also applies to posting personal pictures of users, their schools, homes (that include their exact locations), etc. This applies to all forums, threads, posts, private messages, profiles, avatars and signatures.

If this is the case, then why is there an option to have that stuff posted under your post EVERY TIME?

On Topic: I agree with this. If you manipulate the photo correctly so that all it looks like is you're standing infront of a forest, then there is almost no way that someone could locate you. Likewise, being in a huge city, if you stand infront of a common store (refering to a store that has multiple stores across the nation, like McDonalds), then that also makes it next to impossible to locate you...

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

Whoa , slow down lol

tallest already posted above that we will be talking it over and coming to a more clear solution as obviously the "rule" is flawed.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Whoa , slow down lol

tallest already posted above that we will be talking it over and coming to a more clear solution as obviously the "rule" is flawed.

Wow, very nice job tip.it staff :) . Glad to see that you take things into consideration, something Jagex needs to learn :lol: . I assumed we would get the message "the rules will not be changed, deal with it" or something. GO TIP.IT! :P

Just like to add something if it helps .. In the personal website thing you can link upto site which [[can]] have your own pictures on. I have clicked on these sites and yes, the majority of them lead up to a MySpace thing or something else with pics on.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

errdoth: You obviously were not satisfied with my response but I, at least, did you the courtesy of not publicly posted your pm to me concerning the topic and even better I'm not removing my message from your post since it's nothing serious, just a matter of etiquette. In the future I would appreciate it if you would continue the conversation in pm if you are not happy with the response you received.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

** DISCLAIMER: The Opinions Expressed Here Are My Own and Do NOT Represent Tip.It Management **

This was such an interesting question that I wanted to get involved a little bit. I hope you all realise that Admin The_Tallest1 isn't trying to make life difficult - he's trying to take positive action on an issue you've identified, and make TIF policy consistent. So try not to take it out on him, okay? ;)

I'm rather surprised that the "Getting To Know You" topic was allowed, honestly. My only concern with it is that users have posted their home cities on that thread. (edit: oh, didn't realise it was new. well. see next paragraph.)

All anyone needs to find you is your first and last name ... OR the name of your school and your photo .... a person can walk right up and say "Hi, pokemama, I saw your name on TIF! Can I buy you a hamburger at McDonald's?" With your city name and your age, only a handful of schools are likely, so again someone can find you fairly easily with a photo even without knowing your name!

I personally would not identify my location any more specific than a state (I used to just say "the Southeast". Many folks I know say "New England", "the Northwest", etc.) I most definitely advise AGAINST giving your hometown name, ESPECIALLY a small town with only a few schools. A Huge nearby city might be ok (nobody is gonna find you if you live in a town that's a suburb of "Atlanta" or "an hour from Baltimore", lol.)

Okay, now on to real life pictures. At Another Fansite, they allowed real life pictures. HOWEVER, there were several caveats:

The first was that no personal information could show in the photo (one guy included his dog in a picture, with his dog's tag accidentally showing his home phone #, lol. He felt pretty stupid.)

The second was the NO COMMENTS OF ANY SORT WERE ALLOWED, good or bad. Think about this. Would you really want someone commenting that you were ugly, pimply, scrawny, fat, stooped, disabled, [bleep]ty, had a bad hairstyle, wore too much makeup, or dressed funny? And it's not always flattering when someone tells a person that s/he is hawt, cexy, being drooled over, has a nice (body part), would-you-be-my-gf/bf, etc.

SO. IF the Admins decide to revise the current policy (wherein Getting to Know You is allowed but RL pics are not), some changes and restraints would need to be enacted.

1. Don't post your city or any specific RL information other than your first name and your age. A state or major city in USA or Australia would be tolerable; province or major city in Canada; I dunno how generic places in the UK are identified but definitely not city (unless it's London or Edinburgh I s'pose); and so on for other countries.

2. NO COMMENTS on other people's pictures. AT ALL. PERIOD. Nice or Not Nice. So .... some serious self-restraint and policing is in order.

These are my opinions and experience. Thanks for listening.

** DISCLAIMER: The Opinions Expressed Here Are My Own and Do NOT Represent Tip.It Management **

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Whoa , slow down lol

Just because the 'admins' are discussing should not mean we are not allowed to continue discussing and hopefully influence their final decision.

Pokemama no pedo is going to use a forum such as tip.it to get information off a victim. There's are thousands of other players across the web which are much easier for a pedo to get information, and this is a pretty hard and bad place for a pedo to get information.