Rs2: Blaming Miniclip For All The Evils Of Runescape

meili

The golden age of Runescape

Long ago and far away in a land that time has forgotten there was a game called Runescape, which people eventually realized was NOT Run-escape but Rune-scape. In this fair land all were good, true, loyal, brave and polite.

Miniclip ends the Age of Innocence

Then came the evil known as Miniclip. Runescape was listed as the best free online world on this site. And lo! Evil newbies poured forth in uncountable numbers from tutorial island. The once fair land of Runescape was covered in darkness. Thenceforth good was vanquished forevermore. Scammers, beggars, trash talkers and the like now ruled the once fair Lumbridge.

What is Meili babbling about this time???

Well, in plainer talk, there is currently a feeling or popular idea that the old Runescape used to be good until it was advertised in Miniclip, which caused it to be flooded with annoying 12 year olds. An example of this is this quote from Tip It:

I have been playin runescape for about a year now when i first started playing everyone was really kind and nice and the word noob was rarely used. varrock sq used to be full of people all lvls helping each other out it wasnt rare for a high lvl player to help out a lvl 3 the game wasnt about who had done the most quests or who had the highest lvls it was bout helpin ppl makin friends nd just avin a nice time on the computer. But now a year later that has all but vanished. There is no peace anymore Noob is the most common word in the Runescape dictionary people ask for help and they get called a noob there are no more helping other ppl u cnt even trust ur own friend ne more as you think theyll scam u. WHY HAS THE PEOPLE OF RUNESCAPE CHANGED?

I, for one, do not recall Runescape ever being noob-or-child-free. Never has everyone been always friendly and nice to me. Am I actually playing a different game from the person I quoted above? There have *always* been beggars, scammers, noobs, etc. for as long as I have been playing.

The close friends I had back then were 12 (Who Da Best, ranked 3rd in combat hiscores) and Grubyyyyyyy. More than half of the players were kids. Lumbridge was full of people asking for cyber. :innocent:

Try looking at my website and what you see there are people abusing bugs in the wilderness and what not. Scammers roamed freely and Jagex had to take several steps to reduce the number of their victims (ex. second trade screen, changing the look of bronze long sword so it doesn't look similar to drag long, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, Rs was great then. We had a good community and everyone knew each other. However, it was NOT a noob-free paradise were everyone was nice and kind to everyone else. Such a place does not exist on the internet.

Postcript: This was also posted on RSC where I had a disappointing (but half-expected result) with only half of the posters actually reading the first post. I'm betting Tip It will be better than that so don't disappoint me! :mrgreen: This is from my blog

http://stripeybank.blogspot.com/

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice read, and I agree 8-)

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Runescape noob/idiot free a year ago? What was that guy(girl) thinking?

It was already filled when I joined three years ago. And of course tip.it will give better responses. Nice read ::'

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Yeah runescape is full of kids who got there parents to pay for runescape with their credit cards and it automatically renews every month without the parents knowing it would happen and the little kid gets members forever. None of this would have happened if rs wasn't on miniclip and the little brats discoverd it. And Schoolastic wouldn't of made a fricking book on runescape that says it's for 8+ year olds!

Also if that quote is from december 2006 then it's inaccurate since well I started playing 11 months ago and people were the same as they are now unless it happened in a month's time..

Yeah runescape is full of kids who got there parents to pay for runescape with their credit cards and it automatically renews every month without the parents knowing it would happen and the little kid gets members forever. None of this would have happened if rs wasn't on miniclip and the little brats discoverd it.

Also if that quote is from december 2006 then it's inaccurate since well I started playing 11 months ago and people were the same as they are now unless it happened in a month's time..

You didn't read the full post did you... He was saying how miniclip wasn't really the cause and that it had always been like that.

Nice read, even if there was still beggars and such back then it was probabyl more enjoyable.

Sprite-2.jpg

519881548elmosotw.jpg

OT: You know, this is the first time I've actually looked at your name. Beforehand I just glanced at your sig and assumed it said Neil! :lol:

On topic: I agree completely. People complaining about MiniClip is one of my pet peeves, as it has absolutely no basis in fact. Assume that 2% of all active players are scammers/name-callers etc. Back when there were only 20,000 people playing, then 400 of them were annoying whiny idiots that we love to complain about.

Then miniclip arrives and suddenly there's 200,000 people playing. Now there's 4,000 annoyances playing. So you can technically say that Miniclip increased the amount of idiots playing the game. But as it's in proportion, you're just taking things out of context and making yourself look stupid.

And anyway, I found RuneScape through miniclip, so I will defend it always!

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Yeah runescape is full of kids who got there parents to pay for runescape with their credit cards and it automatically renews every month without the parents knowing it would happen and the little kid gets members forever. None of this would have happened if rs wasn't on miniclip and the little brats discoverd it.

You didn't read the full post did you... He was saying how miniclip wasn't really the cause and that it had always been like that.

Nice read, even if there was still beggars and such back then it was probabyl more enjoyable.

nope just the title like I do with everything

and the quote

Cause i r stupid

I found Runescape through Miniclip. I'm nearly thirty years old. Not saying that I'm an exception to the Miniclip rule, maybe I'm part of the problem.

I agree with the article from my viewpoint. I've been playing for two years and the general attitudes of players seem to be exactly like it was two years ago. I opened up the Runescape news archives on the main page and find that that Jagex was forced to make changes to curb scams, bug abuses, and macroing long before Miniclip came in and I decided to start playing.

rssig2.png

I think Bo4345 is actually agreeing with me about that quote (in the first post) being very inaccurate. :lol:

Keep it up guys! Tip It ftw on people who actually read posts and not just the title. I love you guys!

OT: You know, this is the first time I've actually looked at your name. Beforehand I just glanced at your sig and assumed it said Neil! :lol:

LOL I never had anyone think I was Neil before. This is a first.

Then miniclip arrives and suddenly there's 200,000 people playing. Now there's 4,000 annoyances playing. So you can technically say that Miniclip increased the amount of idiots playing the game.

It's the intarweb, idiots are always present. I just feel Miniclippers have too bad a rep.

well there is some truth to what you say beacuse my friend found it thought minyclip and he told me and not im a 14 year old who knows loads about the game but as a rule ill have to say that for the most part most of the "club pengun" croud came to rs and it dose make a big dif in f2p

racer434.png

Yes im the dude with the shoe

I'd rather phrase the history like this.

There was the golden age of rs, etc, etc...

The beggars and the trolling noobs were always being put down by the more influx of more responsible, older players. Granted it wasn't perfect, but there weren't many. Then came the trojan horse known as miniclip. Jagex, the fair ruler of the land, accepted it as a gift. But soon, the invaders threw open the gates for the noobs to poor in and overwhelme the defenses and the mighty ban catapults. In with them came autoers, as they flocked to large games, and noobs who begged and complained 24/7.

Soon the miniclip players began to learn the ways of the Runescapians, and soon you couldn't tell who was who. Suddenly, everybody became suspicious, and everybody became mean towards each other. Granted, there were those who didn't, but the reign of the Miniclippians (or Miniclipites, or Miniclipocians) kept them quite silent....

And that is the story of how miniclip effected runescape.

And don't even get me started about the fricken runescape book, at my brother's school half his class got the fricken book. What's his grade? SECOND.

No witty signatures for me :(

Dont know about a year ago, but before I originaly quit things sure were different. Faldor park world 2 was a place where those who played for financial reasons gathered and would sell each other their coveted party hats.

Everyone knew each other, people were friendly with each other and all in all it was fun. One of the biggest reasons I couldnt get back into rare merchanting was because of how things have changed, too many ignorant people who think they know it all, who rush to insult you or call you noob if you refuse to pay them 1k per law rune.

Lately ive been getting increasingly more frustarted trying to buy dragon hides. I advertise one thing, and people will send me 10 trade requests just to offer to sell me their rune boots. Too many beggars, too many people who cant read and only know 3 or 4 words, 2 of them being nub and noob.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

Soon the miniclip players began to learn the ways of the Runescapians, and soon you couldn't tell who was who. Suddenly, everybody became suspicious, and everybody became mean towards each other. Granted, there were those who didn't, but the reign of the Miniclippians (or Miniclipites, or Miniclipocians) kept them quite silent....

Miniclipoids, Miniclippers, Miniclipedes, etc!

And don't even get me started about the fricken runescape book, at my brother's school half his class got the fricken book. What's his grade? SECOND.

He is liek 8 years old and he reads actual books instead of watching Tv or playing console games? Good for him. :pray: Does he also play RS?

This thread states the obvious: Rsc was not perfect.

A game doesn't have to be perfect for you to like it. Some people idealise the past and Rsc in their forum messages, I see that as their way of expressing their love for Rsc.

I've never seen anyone claim something like "There was not a single displeasing person in Rsc", or "Runescape was absolutely 100% perfect before Miniclip arrived". On the other hand, I've seen plently of people talk about the good aspects of the old days, without mentioning the bad ones. That's normal, people like to remember themselves the good moments, not the bad ones.

Don't assume that because people don't mention the bad aspects of the game there were back then that they believe those aspects did not exist.

2480+ total

brand me a miniclip noob because i am one =)

yeah i came from miniclip when i was around 10, im 13 now

i think the assumption that miniclip was like a portal for noobs is correct in one sense but also incorrect

i would say the average age dropped dramaticly when miniclip advetised rs but then again you get noobs, scammers, bug abusers (etc...etc...) from any age group

I agree with you completely.

This game was intended (for the most part) to be played by children, so why do so many people complain about the immature, childish crowd? It's expected in a children's game, isn't it?

I don't blame Miniclip whatsoever, if it wasn't for Miniclip, I wouldn't be playing either.

I agree with you completely.

This game was intended (for the most part) to be played by children, so why do so many people complain about the immature, childish crowd? It's expected in a children's game, isn't it?

I don't blame Miniclip whatsoever, if it wasn't for Miniclip, I wouldn't be playing either.

Most of the original players of RS were not "children" so I don't know where you get this idea that it was meant to be for children. It was actually just a small pet project of a student that turned out to be a big thing.There has and always will be hackers , scammers , immaturity here in the game. All the way back to people trying to pass off silver to be the "rare" diamonds that were to be found etc.

So to place blame on one source would be wrong. The blame is just popularity in itself. Once a game becomes popular there is kind of a "market" for cheats , hacks , scams.

dravensigki6.jpg

Started January 2001

Miniclipoids, Miniclippers, Miniclipedes, etc!

He is liek 8 years old and he reads actual books instead of watching Tv or playing console games? Good for him. :pray: Does he also play RS?

He doesn't, my mother tells him to wait till he's 13. I <3: my mom.

No witty signatures for me :(

Well said :)

I've heard loads of people blaming it on Miniclip, but without them, not only would we have less bad players - we'd have less good ones too

Actually, I think a lot of the anti-Miniclip people found out about RS because of advertising on Miniclip!

In fact, without Miniclip you wouldn't have the almighty rock-basher that is Plugpoint92! Haha

-Plug ::'

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13