Backing up my computer need some help/tips

devilheart14

ok i have finnally got my hands on some 4.7 gb sony dvd-r discs so i could back up my computer. basically i wanted to back apsolutly everything up and am looking at a bit over 30GB of stuff to back up. I tried using the back up that comes with windows xp but it wouldn't let me use these cds in D drive for some reason. I then got my copy of netguide out and on the cd they have a copy of a program called genie4 so i tried to back up using that program but it seemed to not want me to as i had checked the box to use mulitple disks around 7 of them and it still said i couldn't.

so does anybody know any good free software of i can probably get it programs to use that you have personally used and know are good or how i can use the basic one that comes with windows xp and it it any good the standard one??

thanks all

:D :D :D

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D

Maybe it won't write it to the DVD because it can't? Just a thought...

as for backing up, you could always borrow a hard drive from a friend, throw it in, do the old 'copy paste' and then format. If not that, then "buy" a hard dirve or external drive, then return it after your done :lol:

first: make a copy of all your files on to your HDD just in case u mess somthing up

second: do a scandisk to correct any errors etc

third: defrag

fourth: if backup utility didn't work...try the file transfer one...that one worked for me

fifth: if all that doesn't work...compress all of your files to either zip files or .bkf files then just burn them onto a dvd/cd

sixth: wait for a tech head cause im out of stuff that i'd do

na i just got my dad to buy these disk which are a pack of 50 and i have already defraged yesterday.

so can't i use these cds?

my only other external hard drive is my ipod and i didn't want to use that space and there wont really be enough and i want to use these cd's instead of blowing 160 bucks on a hard drive instead of games :(

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D

Ok - I have to ask... do you have a DVD writer ????? It's quite possible the drive you have is a CD-writer, but only READS DVDs ?? Just a thought :)

Now... do you have 30GB of data... or is there 30GB used on your hard drive, including Windows and your program files ?? Just asking, as those will make quite a difference, in regards to how much you actually need to back up.

As for automatically backing up to DVD - I think you could be out of luck there, whilst using free software. However - what CD burning software do you have that came with your CD writer ?? It's possible that will do it - I know things like Nero have an option for backing up your hard disk...

One-time #13 smither.

All-time #1 noob.

Ok - I have to ask... do you have a DVD writer ????? It's quite possible the drive you have is a CD-writer, but only READS DVDs ?? Just a thought :)

Now... do you have 30GB of data... or is there 30GB used on your hard drive, including Windows and your program files ?? Just asking, as those will make quite a difference, in regards to how much you actually need to back up.

As for automatically backing up to DVD - I think you could be out of luck there, whilst using free software. However - what CD burning software do you have that came with your CD writer ?? It's possible that will do it - I know things like Nero have an option for backing up your hard disk...

yea, thats kind of what I was trying to say... but as usualy grin says it best :lol: