Only on the internet...

BlueLancer

Do companies like google get paid astronomical sums just to drive visitors to advertiser's sites. You've heard the pay-per-click ratios, $0.10 per click, and so on. Many people are making their own PPC search engines, some with more fortune, some with less.

What's more shocking is this:

http://www.4morebusiness.com/adsense_keywords.html

Just look at the most expensive keywords. That's just wrong in a world where innocent children starve to death. But then again it's business... Imagine google directing just 1500 people to some of the most expensive keyword's advertised sites. You can do the math but I can say it's at *least* 5x the average american would make in 5 years, or what 360 people living in 3rd world countries would make in a year.

https://adwords.google.com

You don't even need to create an account, let's take the keyword mesothelioma for example. Maximum per click of $43 currently will get you second position on the results page, with an average click value of $8 (getting you the position 1.7 currently). So that page might be outdated but the amounts are still huge and the proof is right in front of your nose.

I did research on mesothelioma and it's a killing cancer of some sort, but the compensations you might get from a company to being exposed to materials that cause mesothelioma are so big (in the tens of millions) that I don't actually wonder how they can pay so high amounts per click on the internet.