Slow for no reason...

About two weeks ago, a couple of extremely annoying problems started happening..

The first one is that some programs, but not all programs, take forever to start. Before this started happening they'd start-up pretty-much instantly. But now, I get the waiting cursor for a few seconds, then cursor goes back to normal and the program actually starts-up anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes later.

The other problem is every once in a while my computer will hang. It did this before, but not nearly as much..

I've done several virus scans, and spyware scans with Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Trendmicro's free scanner. I did a HJT about a week ago and didn't find anything, but I'd be open to doing another one.

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated.

IRKAa.jpg

It seems like you're running out of RAM to run your normal programs.

Does your hard drive start thrashing when you're opening these programs? How much RAM is available when you're computer is running slow? (ctrl+alt+delete).

I think your computer is running out of physical RAM, so it's using the hard drive as virtual memory, which is thousands of times slower than your physical RAM.

You need to close more programs running in the background, or buy more RAM.

That's my best guess, I would check the task manager and see how much RAM you have avaliable before jumping to conclusions.

What's the CPU usage at when this happens? Is it at 100% the whole time when it's hung up? What speed is your CPU?

Also, what programs are doing this, and what actions will do this? Give some examples.

CPU usage is normal when this happens, I can't even see any [bleep]es when it hangs, which is why it's wierd..

Using AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Let's see...Trillian does it sometimes, IE, Opera, Firefox do it sometimes, Filezilla does it a lot, winamp does it fairly frequently now.. and the list goes on..

Things like ultramon and mIRC though seem to have no problem

IRKAa.jpg

CPU usage is normal when this happens, I can't even see any [bleep]es when it hangs, which is why it's wierd..

Using AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Let's see...Trillian does it sometimes, IE, Opera, Firefox do it sometimes, Filezilla does it a lot, winamp does it fairly frequently now.. and the list goes on..

Things like ultramon and mIRC though seem to have no problem

I think you may have a similar problem to that described here:

http://www.rsinn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2026

Check your windows error logs, and see what turns up. Maybe scandisk fixes it, maybe you need something else. Might want to ask Purecheese what program was eventually used to fix this.

Error log shows nadda, scandisked several times about a week or two ago, including a couple of times in safe-mode. One of them showed errors but it fixed them. Try again?

Also, RSInn isn't loading for me now so I'll have to check that post later..

IRKAa.jpg

I may have found the problem. My motherboard has a little fan for the SLI chipset I beleive is what it's for. It's not working for some reason, hopefully that chip hasn't already burned out. I'm going to see if I can get the fan working.

IRKAa.jpg