Complaint: Inconsistency of policies

From the complaints\suggestions department: Too many topics are seemingly locked unfairly, with one mod having a different interpretation of the rules.

Case study 1:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=782716

A thread in which you post screenshots of users with funny or creative usernames. Locked due to:

Sorry, here at Tip.it, we have a no naming names policy.

Now, this is just a personal disagreement at this point:

1.6 - Naming Names

Naming people or their characters in a negative light is not permitted.

Open to interpretation - I guess one could insult someone when posting a screenshot of a creative user name, but the thread hadn't taken that direction; in fact, it was quite the opposite - users were being complemented for 'cool' usernames.

Now, what spurred me to post this was this thread:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=495535

Same idea, posting pictures of users - except this thread contained a significant amount of spam\flaming, some of it directed towards famous users. It remains unlocked, with 31 pages of posts at the time of writing. There are also many other threads like this one, such as the thread asking for stories of players who acted 'noobie', filled with many different user names.

Now I know some threads lockability may be open to debate (tripsis, I'm looking at you with the 'personal insults vs. factual slights' argument <.< ), but I'm really not understanding why some threads are allowed to remain vs. be locked in seemingly indiscriminate fashion.

I suppose this thread may be locked\removed for (slightly ironically) 'criticizing' mod\staff actions, but I figured I might as well throw it out. Perhaps someone could shed some light on the subject and change my mind?

EDIT: Update, Mod corrected his (in my humble opinion) mistake, reposted with:

Edit: har har, never mind.

It would appear its only naming names in a negative light.

(This does not name names of people trying to get around censors though, please).

Even mod's forget some time ;)

Kudos to lionheart for manning up to it.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I'd say that most of the time inconsistencies occur because the moderators aren't aware of other threads that contain flaming. If posts never get reported, there is a chance that moderators will never find them. We don't have radars that automatically pick up on flame wars ;) Yes, we do sometimes find inappropriate posts or threads on our own, but reporting always helps us find rule-breaking posts more quickly.

Now the first thread that you referred to was a misinterpretation of the rules but luckily the moderator has corrected his mistake so there is no harm done. And I'm going to check out your second thread now :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Now the first thread that you referred to was a misinterpretation of the rules but luckily the moderator has corrected his mistake so there is no harm done. And I'm going to check out your second thread now :P

It's really nothing serious, just a few comments sprinkled through the thread - I was simply using it as a 'worse then' example ;)

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

It's really nothing serious, just a few comments sprinkled through the thread - I was simply using it as a 'worse then' example ;)

Okay well does my point make sense then? Do you still feel like there are inconsistencies that need to be fixed? Personally, consistency is really one of the most important things to me as a staff member (and a user), and it always has been. So if you think there's still a problem, I would like to try to fix it :P As I'm sure you could guess, there will always be slight variations since we have more than one moderator and therefore more than one mind making judgments. We will all interpret things a little differently at times, but ideally, we will think and function as similarly as possible ;)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog