Wisp's Story

Wisp

With a thump, my body hit the ground. I let out a muffled cry; a rock had sliced open the inside of my leg. Pain was a familiar sensation for me, and the sight of blood was all too common. I lifted myself off the ground, and looked up at the point I had fallen from. It was a good 10 feet off the ground, but all that was left of whatever it was that had brought me there was a rapidly fading light. I looked back down at myself, I was as I had been before, with a few things missing. My torn clothes were ragged as always, and all that was missing was the pistol that had been in its holster at my side. It did not worry me, I didn't know where I was or what had happened, but it was peaceful, for once.

Was this the afterlife? I had to have died. There was no other way to explain it. I could barely remember what had happened... before this. I put it out of my mind for the moment, and evaluated my surroundings. There was water near me, crystal clear. That was something new; it was the first clean water I had seen in years. I walked the 20 feet to the water, looked into the water and saw the reflection of a girl I didn't recognize looking back at me. I stared at it for what seemed like an eternity, and I began to recognize myself. I was a skeleton compared to what I had been like the last time I saw myself, my once long, clean hair was a mess of dirt and blood. I had never been so thin in my life, any excess fat or curves were long gone. I realized how long I had been standing there, looking into the water. I stood up, and looked back towards the lake. It was slowly flowing to the south; I could here the sounds of a rushing river far off in the distance. I followed the lake towards the river, maybe I could figure out where I was or how I got there. Within an hour I was at the edge of the river. My body was weak from days without food, I needed to sleep. I found a flat rock by the riverside, laid down, and went to sleep.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

The moon was high in the sky when I awoke. I had rolled off the rock sometime as I slept, and was now stomach down in the sandy riverbank. It was lucky I hadn't rolled into the river, who knows how that would've ended. I was a bit better rested, but I was hungrier than ever. If only my pistol had survived whatever had happened to me, or my knife, anything. I looked for something I could eat, an animal, berries, anything. Across the river was a marshy area, land just barely higher than the river. Though it was in the distance, the light from the moon illuminated it. I could see some movement flickering across the land, maybe an animal. The river was maybe 500 feet across. I could swim it, I thought. If I angled myself correctly the river's current would pull me in the right direction. I dove into the water, angled myself down the river, but in the direction of the marshy area, and swam with all my might. With the help of the current, I was able to reach the edge, though I was drained of what little energy I had left. I dragged myself up onto the beach. Any sign of the animal I had seen was gone, but something else caught my eye. A bush, with some blue colored berries on it. I slowly pulled myself onto my feet, and walked over to it. They looked like blueberries, and they smelled like them. I took a chance, and ate as many as I could find. It wasn't a lot, but it kept me going. I walked inland a bit, maybe half a mile. The marshes were fading into more fertile land, grassy, a perfect place for animals. I hoped I would run into something, a rabbit, a deer, anything, that I could eat. Who knows if they even existed here. As I walked, I tripped over a root, though I caught myself. On the ground, next to where I fell was a roll of parchment. This was the first sign of human life I had seen, who knows how it had ended up here. Maybe someone wandering through this world as I was had found it. No matter, I picked it up, and unrolled it. It was a map. It had been written on, the grid was labeled by numbers and letters. Looking at the map, I tried to figure out where I was. Judging by the location of the only lake, and the river I had just swum, I mentally pictured the area on the map where I must be.

I looked at the sky, the moon was starting to descend. I knew I had to sleep, I wanted to be fully rested for the day. I found a suitable patch of grass, and lay down.

( OOC: Here's where I think I am. this is not actually written on the map)

15265076.jpg

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I awoke, the sun was rising. I was well rested but still hungry, and I hadn't had anything to eat since the few berries the night before. I walked through the tall grass, in search of more food of some sort, but found nothing suitable. On the verge of giving up, I spotted a strange tree, on it were greenish fruit like things. Most of them had been eaten off the tree, and the remains of them were lying on the ground, so I figured there was a good chance that they would not be poisonous to humans. I ate as many as I could, then picked two more, and held one of the awkwardly shaped fruits in each hand. I was terribly thirsty, so I started to head north towards the swampy areas. The water wasn't as clean as the river, but it would do. I jogged there, and in 10 minutes I was at the edge of the water. There were a few islands in the swampland, and the water seemed to be clearer and cleaner as I got further north, closer to the river, so I hopped from island to island till the water was almost the same quality as the river. I knelt down to drink from the water, when I heard what sounded like footsteps walking through the swampy terrain.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

• 1 month later...

I had been watching the person approach me in the water's reflection. Just as they touched my shoulder, I spun around and grabbed their wrist with one hand, and their throat with the other.

"Who are you?" I said threateningly.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain