A few thieving questions.

Nhs_Xc

I was looking through a few guides, and baiscally the jist was bandits, then menaphites at 65, then PP at 81. Is this still the fastest way to go about it? Also what is a decent food fro thieving? I have been using left over pineapple pizzas and tunas but I am wondering if there was any 'accepted' food choice. Thanks!

my self i just used cakes and you could just go pyramid plunder still good xp for your level menaphites thugs did my head in gave it ago didnt like

jasondee1uk7sh0.png

Thank You So Much 4be2jue For The Amazing Sig

thank you Skull_Emblem for a great avatar

Start Pyramid Plunder at 61. Don't argue with me. It's the fastest way. Trust me, just do it =]

Do the "Contact!" quest for the bank in Sophanem. Have an inventory of 4 Super Anti-Poison (4) and 24 monkfish. Take a dose of potion at the very beginning of each game, its lasts 5 minutes, conveniently the same amount of time a run of PP takes. Eat/bank when needed.

Good luck!

seetons.png

Feel free to HYT me in-game =)

~~3,483rd to 99 Thieving, Feb 22, 2008~~

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin (& Hobbes)

Start Pyramid Plunder at 61. Don't argue with me. It's the fastest way. Trust me, just do it =]

Do the "Contact!" quest for the bank in Sophanem. Have an inventory of 4 Super Anti-Poison (4) and 24 monkfish. Take a dose of potion at the very beginning of each game, its lasts 5 minutes, conveniently the same amount of time a run of PP takes. Eat/bank when needed.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I'm at 62 currently and I have been getting about 70k/hr at bandits. I think I am going to due Contact! now since blackjacking is getting annoying.

For PP, I would go to the level 51 room and search the urns, then go to the 61 room and do everything there, correct? I have been to PP once on another character, but it was a LONG time ago.

Blackjacking may be annoying, and you may want to tear off your hand, but it IS the fastest way to train thieving until level 91.

If I were you though, I'd alternate between the two.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I'm at 62 currently and I have been getting about 70k/hr at bandits. I think I am going to due Contact! now since blackjacking is getting annoying.

For PP, I would go to the level 51 room and search the urns, then go to the 61 room and do everything there, correct? I have been to PP once on another character, but it was a LONG time ago.

Its all personal preference. You can either choose to loot urns in the 51 room until your timer is at the halfway point then head to the next room and loot them all (which is what I did) or you can do what you described.

And I will stand by Pyramid Plunder as the fastest way to 99 Thieving any day, I was getting 180K xp an hour at level 81+ and upwards of 210K an hour at 91+.

seetons.png

Feel free to HYT me in-game =)

~~3,483rd to 99 Thieving, Feb 22, 2008~~

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin (& Hobbes)

Good luck!

Its all personal preference. You can either choose to loot urns in the 51 room until your timer is at the halfway point then head to the next room and loot them all (which is what I did) or you can do what you described.

And I will stand by Pyramid Plunder as the fastest way to 99 Thieving any day, I was getting 180K xp an hour at level 81+ and upwards of 210K an hour at 91+.

QFC: 98-99-681-58526094

[hide=If you don't wanna read the whole thing]

The blackjack methods obviously take a lot of concentration. If you want to get good rates, you should have private chat off and be out of any clan chats. You can always talk later.

I've mentioned that a successful cycle at maximum speed is 3.6 seconds. 285 thieving xp is gained per cycle, if thieving Menaphite Thugs. That means it is possible to get up to 282.1k xp per hour! If you can only thieve from the level 55 (thieving) bandits, you can gain 178.6 xp per cycle which is up to 176.8k xp per hour. The level 45 (thieving) bandits give 168.8 xp per cycle which is up to 167.1k xp per hour. (I am rounding these maximum hourly rates down by about 1% because of rounding down in the 3.6 second time; this depends on how fast the game is running and is beyond the scope of this guide and doesn't really matter anyway.)

Of course, those rates are maximums and assume you never fail the knock-out (which is impossible, as you can still fail even at 99, and fail very commonly at lower thieving levels), never misclick, and never get a random. Your average xp per hour with Menaphite Thugs should actually be somewhere between 150k to 265k xp per hour. It will depend on your thieving level and, more importantly, how well you are using the method. If you are using the method very well, the average xp per hour should range from about 200k (that's at 65 thieving) to about 265k (that's at 99 thieving).

Personally, the first time I tried blackjack-thieving seriously, I gained 224k xp in one hour thieving Menaphite Thugs at 84 thieving. Then, I timed an average of 233k xp per hour for myself at thieving levels in the high 80s, but in no way was I performing the method even close to perfectly. When I was going for 30M xp in thieving usually I blackjacked just a little bit several times a week and typically get about 250k-270k xp per hour.

A friend of mine was able to get even better rates than I could. He has done very nearly a perfect hour and got 276k xp; he also was able to average 265k xp per hour at close to 99 thieving, which is no doubt much faster than most people can do, but absolutely possible.

Thieving level (not attack level or strength level) affects your success rate when attempting a knock-out. However, thieving level doesn't affect your xp rate hugely since failing the knock-out takes so little time (1.2 seconds).

It is possible to get well over 75k xp per hour at level 45 thieving, well over 105k xp per hour at level 55 thieving, and well over 200k xp per hour at 65 thieving.

Personally I didn't start using the blackjack method seriously until 84 thieving, so I don't have a ton of experience with those lower levels, and I had determined the xp rates in the preceding paragraph theoretically. However, after getting dozens of complaints about trouble with the blackjack method, I decided I would go find out for myself exactly what the blackjack methods are like at low level thieving.

I stood in the winter area north of Trollheim to lower my 99 thieving to 44. I teleported to my house in Pollnivneach and began thieving the level 45-thieving bandit when I hit 45 thieving.

One could argue that I cannot truly represent a low level thief because of my experience. However, I would like to mention that I had achieved 99 thieving over three months before this test and had not done any thieving whatsoever since then. In fact, I had not even been in Pollnivneach since then. I jumped directly into the test without any warmup or practice whatsoever. I also had to determine a method, during the test itself, for eating without losing time, since I had used Saradomin brews myself (Saradomin brews would be silly to use now but at the time they were only about 1k each and I had 15k laying around from training herblore). In many ways, I was a beginner again.

I timed exactly 10 minutes of thieving the level 45-thieving bandits, meaning I had 50 thieving on average. I then did 10 minutes of thieving each at the level 55- thieving bandits and Menaphite Thugs with 61 and 72 average thieving, respectively.

I recorded food usage to determine failure rate.

In the three ten minute tests, I achieved 16755 xp, 23154 xp, and 39360 xp, respectively. I lost about 350 hitpoints (87 failures), 230 hitpoints (57 failures), and 150 hitpoints (30 failures), respectively.

Assume that 26 wines (286 hitpoints) can be bought in 30 seconds. That means that, approximately, I would have had to buy wines 7, 4.5, and 3 times per hour, respectively.

Using these numbers, the xp rate and wine consumption per hour was determined to be the following:

50 thieving: 94.7k xp and 182 wines per hour (cost 24k).

61 thieving: 133.7k xp and 117 wines per hour (cost 15k).

72 thieving: 230.0k xp and 78 wines per hour (cost 10k).

I noticed that the failure rate in the first test was extremely high. I averaged a failure more than once per 7 seconds. That's somewhere around a 40-50% failure rate when attempting a knock-out around level 50 thieving. It got very noticeably better, however: about 30% failure with 61 thieving average, and about 15% failure with 72 thieving average (on Menaphite thugs!) Those are, of course, still fairly high failure rates, but I was still able to obtain those rates above.

[/hide]

Most important part:

50 thieving: 94.7k xp and 182 wines per hour (cost 24k).

61 thieving: 133.7k xp and 117 wines per hour (cost 15k).

72 thieving: 230.0k xp and 78 wines per hour (cost 10k).

Blackjacking is better

Thanks, everyone's input is very much appreciated. I am noticing a huge difference between lvl 62 and 63 with blackjacking. I think I will continue to grind with blackjacking (Previous 15 mins resulted in over 23k xp :ohnoes: ) and use PP when it becomes unbearable.

Blackjacking may be annoying, and you may want to tear off your hand, but it IS the fastest way to train thieving until level 91.

If I were you though, I'd alternate between the two.

same thing happened to me. its annoying, so definitely go from blackjacking to pp once and a while.

Seriouswiki.jpg