Hotmail "Tracing" Question...

RegularCinderella

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I couldn't think of anyone else to ask...except the IT guy in my office...and that's just BEGGING for a 3 hour long conversation/lecture.

If a person e-mails me from a hotmail e-mail address...is it possible for me (or someone) to find out where (as in what city/state or from what computer) that person e-mailed me from?

I consider myself computer savy enough to know that it's probably not possible...but I thought I would ask anyway. :wink:

If you can display the e-mail headers, you can see the IP address of the person who sent it:

To: [email protected]

Subject: Omg!

Received: from 65.193.183.117 by by105fd.bay105.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP

[...]

X-Mime-Version: Produced by Yadda Yadda

X-Originating-IP: 65.193.183.117 (note: false address)

You can then google up a geographical Trace Route utility and enter that address in it. I suggest NeoTrace for this, though you can use any utility you like.

Enjoy! :)

vaporeon-sig.png

I don't have an answer for your question, but I think you probably ought to know the tracer program suggested by the guy above (NeoTrace) , works by using ARIN Netblock whois information and DNS LOC records, both of which most larger networks don't bother updating very often, so when addresses are redistributed your left looking a few hundred miles out ;\.