Penumbra

Nexaduro

ANNOUNCEMENTS & CHANGE LOG

5/10/2012- Trying to work myself up to working on this again, over a year later. Almost certainly will be converted to a Dark Heresy homebrew.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Penumbra, a Dark Heresy homebrew centered around the actions and individuals of the eponymous Penumbra Foundation, both the players and their colleagues in arms. Their job is to keep a handle on the supernatural norm in and around a small area known as Cir in North America. Here's a quick rundown of how things work:

Everyone has a certain degree of 'magic' they are capable of wielding. Modified Psionics will be available, as noted in the magic section of game mechanics, as well as Empath magic involving the direct aid of more powerful

Combat is played out as per Dark Heresy core rules, which I will peruse and modify prior to the first session as I deem proper. Don't worry, I'll be sure to keep the change log up-to-date.

I will try to remain open to player-made technology, but don't expect nonsense with puzzle cards and fabricators. You're Penumbra agents, not rocket scientists. If you have an idea to pitch, by all means do so, preferably with some idea of what purpose you want your Super Ultra Great Wonderful Delicious +5 Boots of Hyper-Dimensional Spoon Tossing to actually perform.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backstory: Earth, 2056 C.E.

[hide]

The world is reeling from the effects of a new World War, one which devastated North America and turned the surface of most of the Middle East and Northern Africa into a completely uninhabitable wasteland. On the American East coast, however, communities are sorting out the mess of their former homes. Cities are once again springing up, taking advantage of overseas trade with the prosperous European countries that have become the only source of goods that were once commonplace. To further complicate matters, the universe seems to be completing a convergence begun in centuries past with a pseudo-reality referred to as The Else; a plane of magic that awakens dormant aspects of existence, the spirits and powers of both nature and humanity.

The effects of The Else began to be noticed around the year 2023, with far flung incidents of so-called supernatural activity and miracles finding no explanation, eventually leading to the recognition and harnessing of true and blatant magic. Original 'Magi' were weak, and often too distracted by the concept of their new powers to seek improvement, but curiosity grows as new generations are born into this increasingly extraordinary world. Obscure information in the corners of the web, unknown texts once regarded as works of fiction, as The Else brought new powers into existence it also brought to light the knowledge and teachings of practitioners across the ages where realities were already beginning to merge.

Now, texts from the past and studies in the present have given rise to two factions of Magi. Opposed in their methods but unified towards the advancement of magical knowledge, the Empaths and Invokers have already become majour powers in the newly awakened Earth. While many orders prefer to keep themselves separate from government, magical power generally being something gained only by those who dedicate their lives to it, some groups are rising in power with the intent of creating Mage-centric states. In a few areas, notably much Western Europe, such movements have provoked violent backlash against all magic and led to rapid technological growth in an attempt to compensate for the lost advantage.

Outside the many political agendas and power struggles lie Penumbra: a little-known organization of soldiers and savants whose goal is simply mankind's preservation. They began operating shortly after Earth's merge with The Else, containing and repairing damage caused by this transition. Before this, no record exists of the organization, though the forces they field indicate both strong leadership and considerable resources at their disposal. Though their base of operations is unknown, they have a noteworthy presence in Russia as well as minor footholds in Eastern Asia and Northeast America.[/hide]

------------------------------------------------------

What to Expect

Players in Penumbra will take on the role of enforcers and investigators into some of the darker aspects of this new world, dealing with more mundane foes such as gangs and smugglers alongside the tag-along spirits brought into existence with The Else. As such, one should note that more than one option should always be considered in a fight, brute force isn't always reliable, and you can often outrun the unfired bullet. Also, the players will not be alone in many of their missions, and NPC Penumbrites can have a strong effect on how battles play out.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;