Discovering the Seal of Misthalin

Ava

My clan has some role play elements. I thought I'd share a piece I wrote to introduce one of the big competitions we do. This was to pump up our clan members about the upcoming competition. I really had fun writing it. Feel free to share your thoughts. :D I included the video for you to that I made to go along with it.

T h e . S e a l . o f . M i s t h a l i n

It wasn't until Ava was called upon by King Roald that the secret of the Seal was unearthed. Ava had spent weeks in the Castle Library studying with Reldo' date=' the Castle librarian. She began to search out clues for her ancestors and the other Keepers of Misthalin families. She became obsessed with uncovering the secrets of the past, and often slept among the ancient books.

One late night, she settled in the corner to read and rested her hand on a stone tile. A sudden flash of blue light pulsed from the tile. Frightened, but intrigued, Ava pressed the tile again. When she looked closer, she saw a cryptic marking, a glyph. Ava had only seen this glyph once, passing through the town of Gunnersgrunn on a rock near the opening of a deep cave. She had heard the monstrous screams coming from below and hurried past. She somehow knew this glyph meant something. She felt connected with this glyph. And she knew where she had to go.

Ava ran to the chapel to speak with Father Lawrence. She knew she needed Saradomin's blessing before she dared to journey to the mysterious cave. She told Father Lawrence only that destiny was calling her to embark upon a journey of great peril. Father Lawrence equipped her with several potions that would help her restore her faith while fighting through the Stronghold. She equipped her best armor and weapon, a lantern, and filled the rest of her bag with food. She didn't know how long the journey would take her.

She traveled to the cave while it was still night - she knew she needed to do this alone, and she also knew the citizens of Gunnersgrunn wouldn't like the cityfolk snooping about in the town. Ava fearlessly climbed down into the ancient stronghold. First she fought through Goblins, Wolves and Minotaurs in the Vault of War. In the center of the Vault, she found a chest. She ran to the chest and flung it open, but all she found were gold coins. She continued down into the Catacomb of famine and fought Zombies, Giant Rats and Flesh Crawlers. In the center, she found a bag, but again, it was only full of coins. Ava traveled still deeper into the Pit of Pestilence and fought Catablepons, Giant Spiders, and scorpions. She found another chest, which contained more gold coins. She walked over to the ladder and peered down to the next level. It was pitch black. She heard ghostly shreaks and the screams of demons. Could she take the risk?

She looked into her bag and noticed she only had enough food left for one small meal, had a massive wound on her arm and felt fatigue setting in. How would she survive going down there, much less coming back up through the levels above her? But she knew she had no choice - the fate of Misthalin was resting on her shoulders. She ate what she had left, took a swig of Father Lawrence's potion and felt Saradomin's peace settle upon her. She lit the small lantern and climbed down the ladder into the Sepulchre of Death. She felt the coldness of the angry ghosts around her and ran to the first room. She slayed the demon Ankou, but as she ran to the next room, a ghost blew a rush of wind and extinguished her lantern. She swung wildly in the dark and managed to slay the ghost.

She couldn't see, she had no food, and the ghosts were soon to find her. There was no hope. She cried out to Saradomin to save her from the agony of a painful death, "Please, take me home to my ancestors." Just then, she saw a faint blue light through a crack behind her. She shoved open the doors and saw The Cradle of Life. Inside the cradle, she found more gold and a new pair of boots. She pushed the cradle aside and uncovered the source of the light - it was the Seal of Misthalin. The Keeper's Glyph beamed with blue light. Beside the Seal was a note.

The note outlined the creation of the Seal:

The Seal of Misthalin was forged by our original founders: Edgar Rodard of Varrock, Titus Banryn of Draynor Village, Alexander, Tasshin of Lumbridge, Jackson Athum of Edgeville, and Brock Emath of Gunnersgrunn. The Keepers found took the purest form of essence and took a blood oath upon the essence to pledge their secrecy to Misthalin's dark history. They then send Edgar to the Earth altar to bind their secrets within the earth's energy. The seal resembles a typical rune, and to the untrained eye would go unnoticed. However, the elders marked the seal with the Keeper's Glyph. The Glyph is an interconnected circle, it's four parts symbolizing Justice, Loyalty, Strength, and Wisdom.

The elders agreed that such a powerful relic should be protected and agreed the Seal should go to the most able family. They planned to participate in yearly competitions of skill to test their strengths. The Seal would go home with the family who performed the best at the competition until the next year.

When the Keepers of Misthalin were disbanded, the Emath family hid the Seal deep in the Stronghold of Security in the Sepulchre of Death. It lay hidden, deep inside a maze filled with many fearsome creatures. Though the Stronghold was unsafe for humans, the Seal lay safe in the depths.

It was this note that revealed the four other families to Ava. She now knew which families to seek to bring the Keepers back together, and she now understood what the Keepers protected: Misthalin's Shadowed Secrets.

Ava saw a ladder that lead her directly up to where she entered the stronghold. She returned to the castle and woke King Roald. She instructed him to spread the news among Misthalin that all decedents, or possible decedents of the familes: Rodard, Banryn, Tasshin, Athum, and Emath should immediately contact her. Her wounded arm, ruined armor, and tear stained face was enough for the King and he sent his guards to carry to messages immediately. He knew whatever secrets Ava uncovered were hers alone, for now, to bear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The elders are back again and the Seal is under our protection.

Which family will earn the right to protect this sacred Seal?

A v a .

bannerdm.gif