Screenshot question

bob12

here

INTRODUCTION:

Many times have I been asked "how do I post a picture?", "how do I take a screenshot?", "how do I make a picture smaller?" Well, I have taken the liberty to making my own screenshot guide for you all. Hopefully this will clear up any questions as to how to do what.

LESSON 1: CAPTURING YOUR IMAGE

This is most likely the easiest part of your screenshot taking process. First, you need to know WHAT exactly you want to capture in your image. Knowing this, position your camera angle, character, whatever accordingly. When ready to capture your image, press the "Print Screen" key to copy an image of your screen to the clipboard. (You may want to press it 2 or 3 times just to make sure it copied.)

prntscrn.jpg

LESSON 2: TRANSFERING & CROPING

Awesome. Although you cant see it at the moment, you have your screenshot all ready to be transfered to an image file. This is where you will need an imaging program such as "MS Paint", "Photoshop", etc. Open your imaging program and open a new file.

----- For MS Paint: The size of your canvas doesnt mater. Press Ctrl+V and your screenshot should paste onto your canvas. Position your screenshot so that the top left corner is as you want it to be. Click any tool on the toolbar to deselect your image. Next, scroll all the way to the bottom right corner and you should see a very small square. Click and drag that to crop.

----- For Photoshop: The size should automatically set to the size of the image on your clipboard. If not, then 800x600 should work easily. Zoom in to your liking, then click the croping tool. Click and drag to select the area of the image you wish to keep. When selected, right click > crop to finalize the process.

LESSON 3: HOW SHOULD I SAVE MY IMAGE?

This decision is up to you. If using MS Paint, the best format to chose would be JPEG. The end result will be a bit fuzzy, but the filesize will be a decent size. For a very clear image, save as a BITMAP, however the filesize will be very large. If using Photoshop, the best way to save your image would be to go to "File > Save For Web." This saves it in GIF format, very clear, and a nice small filesize.

LESSON 4: HOSTING & POSTING YOUR IMAGE

In order to post your picture on any forumn or website, you will need that image to be hosted. Two common and effective (and free) image hosting sites are http://www.imageshack.us and http://www.photobucket.com. Register to either one and upload your picture accordingly. They should then give you 3 codes. To post in a forum you would want to use the code starting and ending with the tag. Copy and past that code into your forum post and your image should show up when posted.

....................................................................................................................

This concludes Wizardgir's lessons: Posting a Picture 101