Digi paint [WIP]

unknowz

firstdppx8.png

Thats Famke Janssen a.k.a pheonix in xmen aka Jean Grey (thanks weeboab)

Obviously I only worked on the face (still gotta work on the eyes)

Few things id like to mention.

-I do not own a tablet. Drew this with my mouse

-I drew this in GIMP (thats not an excuse for bad drawing, just so you know I don't want advice based on photoshop)

-This is my first attempt at digital painting.

Few questions:

-How the heck you do the hair? :-k

-General advice... tutorials would be appreciated.

-Do you guys think I have enough potential to consider buying a tablet?

borderedsh0ai8uxj5.png

Thanks To:reddawn509, Hoopster211, JacobRyan, navyplaya, bigsword33, Ferahgo28, speedofsound, Goldwolflord, unknowz, GonAndGary and born2die

The anatomy looks great! It really looks like her too :thumbsup: Although I'm not a huge fan of smudging when it comes to digital painting, it usually turns out pretty messy. I usually prefer blocking out the basic colours, then blending using lower opacities and flow. That way you can easily control the blending of the colours and make it look slightly cleaner. If you want to smudge, that's fine, but it takes a lot of practice to master. I think that the left cheek (our left, her right) looks nice. I'd work on cleaning up the chin and nose, especially blending the colours with the cheek better. From right to left, right now it's like brown, light brown, pink/red, back to brown. I think it could use a cleaner transition.

As for hair.. I always found it to be the trickiest part :wall: In terms of colours/shades, using the brush tool, follow the 'flow' of the hair (start at the top and work your way down, in terms of strokes). Then blend as necessary. Though there are a few ways of going about it, that's just what I like best.

As for whether or not you should get a tablet, it's not about potential, but dedication and personal preference. I've been digital painting for several years now and don't use a tablet. Why? I don't like it. I feel like I have more control with a mouse. But some people love tablets, whether they're especially gifted or not. So it's really up to you :) If art is something that you'd love to make a career out of, then perhaps try out a friend's or go down to the store to see if they'll let you try theirs out. If you like it, get one of your own :D

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Thanks for the input.

For the hair, I don't seem to be able to find the right brush to use. Either it's too small or too big. What kind of brush you suggest?

No I'm not planning to make a career out of art :) . Im studying in health sciences atm lol. This is more of a past-time.

borderedsh0ai8uxj5.png

Thanks To:reddawn509, Hoopster211, JacobRyan, navyplaya, bigsword33, Ferahgo28, speedofsound, Goldwolflord, unknowz, GonAndGary and born2die

whats with the scratch white lines on her collar? and the hairs nice, then theres a big solid block of colour running right round it. EW! :thumbsup: fix them and it will be so much better

Scratch lines are my first sketch lines I didnt delete yet because I only really worked on the face.

The hair isnt done either. All what you see is me making lame attempts to try to find how to draw them :XD:

borderedsh0ai8uxj5.png

id defo buy a tablet if i was u. and its jean gray not just pheonix btw ;O

Yeah :P Just remembered that. Ill edit my first post.

And Ive been browsing through shops for tablets, Ive found some that looked alright for around 100$ so I'm thinking about it.

borderedsh0ai8uxj5.png

Thanks for the input.

For the hair, I don't seem to be able to find the right brush to use. Either it's too small or too big. What kind of brush you suggest?

No I'm not planning to make a career out of art :) . Im studying in health sciences atm lol. This is more of a past-time.

I like to use larger brushes to get the basic colours down (like to define where the shadows, highlights, midtones and other colours are going to go). Then I use a smaller brush with lower opacity to give depth to the hair by adding in "strands" to make it look more realistic.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog