Movie Editors that *Work* with youtube.

White_Rain

I currently use Microsoft Windows Movie Maker to edit my videos, and when I go to upload on YouTube, it uploads, then when it's finalizing it says "Failed, Invaild File Format"

I published the movie to my computer, and I CAN'T change the way it's saved, the only option is a MMWMM file.

If anyone has a good Editor that will work, and be able to host on youtube, please give me the link, or post maybe what I am doing wrong with MSWMM.

Thanks

Alex

banner2mm5cwjg7.gif

Do not use that userbar. Thanks.

Movie maker works, you should read this and this, then you should be able to upload your video. You're saving it incorrectly.

He's right.

But if you want to go hard core, you can always download Avid's free program. It only edits up to DV video, but if you're making RuneScape movies and/or home movies with anything except an HD camera, then it will work fine for you.

There's a little bit of a learning curve, but there are free tutorials available on the web and once you learn how to use it you'll be making magic.

Check it out :)

Ohh you're using Vista... And you said publishing isn't helping the issue...

I think I know what the problem is, but I don't want to subject you to an immense amount of information overload.

So, just to make sure, when you publish the movie, is it publishing as an .avi file?

(Please say no please say no :pray:)

(If it is though I have a solution)

no, it's not publishing as an avi, its publishing as a MSWMM file :D

Avi's publish on youtube, meaning I can do one clip and host on youtube or not. Thats not using Movie Maker, thats recording, playing in wmp, saving, then hosting.

banner2mm5cwjg7.gif

Avi's publish on youtube, meaning I can do one clip and host on youtube or not. Thats not using Movie Maker, thats recording, playing in wmp, saving, then hosting.

Ah no actually. Some do, some don't. Depends on the type, that's what I was thinking. I was of the opinion that Movie Maker was publishing your movie as DV Type 1 file, which is incompatible with a lot of media players.

I have another question then - when you try to "Save Project As", do you have the option of what quality to save it at?

Actually can you just post a full screenshot of the Save As menu (not just the file type box that's in the earlier screenshot).

Right right I understand that you can only save it as a MSWMM file, I was just wondering if you had options for quality.

In the old Movie Maker if you saved it as a "high quality" file, then it'd auto-convert to .mpeg format. Obviously Vista is absurd and doesn't support that option anymore :lol:.

Okay, well, we'll just try one more thing (before I tell you to just download a converter lol). Can you post a screenshot of the publish movie menu?

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong (having only used Vista twice, and never Movie Maker), but in Movie Maker 2 for XP, the "publishing" went like this:'

1. Ctrl + P = (Save Movie File in XP, Publish Movie in Vista)

2. Double-click [My Computer for XP, This computer in Vista]

3. Name movie, select output destination (Default name: Movie, Default destination: My Videos)

4. Movie settings - where you should select "best quality for playback on my computer"

5. Click next, and it should save the movie as a .wmv

Walk me through how you're publishing it.

Let me get a picture of the 2 options before you post

1: Publish to my Computer

2: Name file - Publish to My Videos

3: Playback - Best quality for my Computer (Reccomended)

4:WMV File, nowhere that has the option to choose.....

5: Publish

This one:

publish2tj7.jpg

Or this:

publish3go3.jpg

And sorry bout he quality - forgot to save as png's

Sound Correct?

banner2mm5cwjg7.gif

Same thing happened like last time.

Here's my one from earlier - youll see what I mean by the screen goin black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agpjVLpB-nM

It published, then when I play it in Windows Media Played, the screen goes black during the last part, then the credits play. It's all good till the last part, same thing happened last time.

So I am guessing my Movies need to be like 3 Mins Max, in order for them to work. Thats gay imo...

Anyway thats for all your help - I am kind of mad through I made a whole music video and it doesn't work... Oh well.. I am mainly using this for pking vids on my pure "u3h" so yeah..

Thanks again.

Alex

banner2mm5cwjg7.gif

Hmm yeah that's weird, check your storyboard in Movie Maker, and then try playing the video within Movie Maker itself and see what happens.

Not sure what to tell you, though, to solve the issue.

The other thing might be file size - if you start to get close to YouTube's 100 MB limit on a file then you start getting weird things happening.

Based on the picture you posted of the AVI thing, the file is almost 1 GB :shock: (although I doubt it's quite that large, since YouTube would just reject the video altogether, but when it's shrunk it probably is close to 100 MB). Maybe try compressing it and then re-uploading?

This involves using the "Compress to" menu (but since .wmv isn't working for you, go to "More settings" and pick "high quality video (small)" and see how that works.