Internet Troubles

unknowable

Well, at home, we have three computers, two upstairs and one downstairs. One of the those upstairs has firefox, and works normally (with an ethernet cable) the other two have wireless connetion to our modem.

At the second one upstairs, we can't open IE, but we could go on MSN, until yesterday, and we can't :( Also, we can't open any explorers, like My Documents.

At the one downstairs, we can open IE, but we can't go on any web pages or MSN. We can open explorers, like My Documents.

Upstairs has AVG Free as virusscanner, which found a lot of trojan horses and stuff, and I'm running again.

Downstairs has McAfee, which isn't updated (we need a password, and I don't know where it lies >.< ) That scan didn't solve anything.

Can you help me?

errr...w00t 100th post?

Downstairs has McAfee, which isn't updated

Well that may be the problem right there. Since you can't get online go on a computer that can connect to the internet and download avg and burn in to a cd or put it on a flash drive to bring to the non working computers. Install it, update it, scan. If Mcaffee doesn't work without the password, un-install it, it's no good if you can't update it.

goldenblade995.png

2nd upstairs one is a system problem, downstairs is an internet problem, does IE give an error message (this page cannot be displayed, cannot connect to server etc.)? get a good virus scanner and run it on the bad comps, and if worst comes to worst you may need to format the bad comps... did they work before a certain date, before you changed something, or did they never work?

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Appreciate Bacteria! It's the only form of culture some people have.

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!

2nd upstairs one is a system problem, downstairs is an internet problem, does IE give an error message (this page cannot be displayed, cannot connect to server etc.)? get a good virus scanner and run it on the bad comps, and if worst comes to worst you may need to format the bad comps... did they work before a certain date, before you changed something, or did they never work?

I get an "cannot connect to server message. and they worked before 24th of August.

lil' update...

We're using a Thomson Speedtouch 121g Wireless USB monitor downstairs.

Upstairs I use an upgraded version. I can visit one page at a time, by going to IP information and click release, and then renew.

the IP Address and Netmask become 0's and the Gateway "disappears". After a while the address and netmask get normal again and after a few seconds the Gateway too.

I've already run a Hijackthis and scanned the logfile. The only thing it could come up with was CDspeed[Caution: Executable File], which stood in C:/.

I'm using Nero. The virusscan still doesn't find anything, but I can't get it to update.

more help?

so they worked two days ago... perfectly? did you change anything on or around august 24?

do you connect from the wireless network icon in the taskbar by clicking "view wireless networks", or is there a program that comes with your router that you use to connect?

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Appreciate Bacteria! It's the only form of culture some people have.

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!