Help with Linux?

Claremont

For those of you that have extensive knowledge of linux, please, lend a helping hand?:P

Im having trouble geting my Acer Ferarri 3400 with SuSE 9.2 on it to recognize me modem.

I open the Devices Menu, it displays all my drivers as you know. I click on the Unknown Catogory and it displys my modem driver.

Few Questions.

1. Where can I download driver for my Modem, type; Acer Incorperated [ALI] Intel [AC97 Modem]

2. How can I install it when i do find a driver, not familier with install programs/drivers on Linux.

Any and all other misc. information qwould be greatly apprechiated!!!!

Btw, just incase this is needed: 64bit AMD processor 3000+

Thanks all who read an reply.

~Clare!

sig.gif

Crazy Old Man.

R.I.P The Old Nite. My Mentor and Brother.

He taught me how to play the game.

Search this website, http://www.driverguide.com

username: drivers

password: all

Also your distro version is out of date, perhaps the newest version has better modem driver support. I'm not totally up with Linux but installing the modem manually, pointing to new drivers you download, would be the first thing I'ld try.

Let me know how you go mate.

I didnt seem to have much luck at the website provided Sharper. Thanks for the advice though :)

Update: After Sharpers advice, getting Fedora Core 3.

sig.gif

Crazy Old Man.

I didnt seem to have much luck at the website provided Sharper. Thanks for the advice though :)

I'ld strongly suggest Cent OS 3.3 over Fedora. I've found it easier to use. Also the newest version, Cent 4 I think is almost in a stable release! Good luck.

I'ld strongly suggest Cent OS 3.3 over Fedora. I've found it easier to use. Also the newest version, Cent 4 I think is almost in a stable release! Good luck.

Im not so much worried about the operation of Fedora, Im kinda doing 3 simultanious I.T Courses so no problems there.

What i really need is a direct link to the download as I Cannot get on the net to find it my self, cept for when i go to the local net cafe, like 10$$ an hour.... Help?

sig.gif

Crazy Old Man.

Nobody pointed out that some modems don't work with Linux, these are called winmodems. They're able to work with Linux but the manufacturer didn't make a driver for it. A 3rd party would have to make a driver for it if the manufacturer didn't. Keep in mind not all manufacturers make Linux drivers.

id say go with gentoo. thats what i use and i love so easy to customize and to get new drivers and software its as easy as emerge progy :) you start from scrach and u have to install and compile the gui the whole process takes about 2 hours or so i can usually do it in less. its a great destro once u get it all set up

Nobody pointed out that some modems don't work with Linux, these are called winmodems. They're able to work with Linux but the manufacturer didn't make a driver for it. A 3rd party would have to make a driver for it if the manufacturer didn't. Keep in mind not all manufacturers make Linux drivers.

Thats why when you install and run linux, you have a 'linmodem' Linux Modem, pretty basic i thought :)

Still cant find the driver :S

sig.gif

Crazy Old Man.