CD-RW Drive Problems

adam_ross0

Alright, so I have a CD-RW drive on my computer. Not our main computer, the decent one..but *my* 7 or 8 or 9 year old ancient mummy computer thing.

Anyways. I have a CD-RW drive. I'm still running Windows 98 Second Edition....and this old computer still kind of runs like a slug. I scanned for viruses, spyware..and it's getting older and slower. It's clean. Anyways, I've been trying to run the Puppy and (Sorry, I'd rather not say the name) D**n Small Linux Live CDs. I can usually run DSL just fine. But whenever I put in the Puppy Live CD (yes, it's before it has the chance to load Windows), it will say 'Searching for boot record from CD-Rom' and sit for a minute..then skip to floppy and HD, therefore booting Windows.

This only happens with the Puppy Linux Live CD. The CD-RW drive is a Memorex CRW 1622...yes, it's ancient :oops:

If you could help me, I'd really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I bet it's time to go rooting around for another CD-RW drive for this old box of dusty parts. Dangit..lol

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

I'm not sure. My dad was the one that burned the ISO...we had been wanting to try Puppy on mine for a while, and he got around to burning it. We switched out the CD-Drives, because my former drive had some problem reading certain parts of discs..therefore we could not boot puppy at all through that one, although it ALWAYS recognized the disc and started to boot.

I dunno, I'll see about that..thanks

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

I'm not sure. My dad was the one that burned the ISO...we had been wanting to try Puppy on mine for a while, and he got around to burning it. We switched out the CD-Drives, because my former drive had some problem reading certain parts of discs..therefore we could not boot puppy at all through that one, although it ALWAYS recognized the disc and started to boot.

I dunno, I'll see about that..thanks

Oh it recognized the disk and started booting? You didn't mention that in your first post :wink: .

Well if you have another computer try the disk in there and see if it gets past the part where it gets frozen, if it does, then it's the disk.

goldenblade995.png

Ok, let me summarize.

-Switched CD drives to CD-RW

-DSL boots fine.

-Puppy USED to boot right up (On CD-RW)...but now it skips and doesnt boot.

-Before I switched drives, Puppy would start to boot, but then freeze during startup.

Yeah, I have another computer. Much better one...lol...this one's like, 1 year old maybe.

I'll reboot and try in here.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg