Running a disk from a HDD image.

EugenyG

My CD-ROM is quite noisy, sometimes it causes lag in games, and generally it's annoying to have to get the game CD into the CD rom every time even though it's already installed on my system.

Is it possible to create an image of a CD on a hard disk as to not have to play a game from the CD? Every time it would ask for a CD, it would be redirected to the CD image on the disk.

I only need it for disks I have legitimately purchased and own; I'm not going to use it for piracy, so I don't want any CD cracks or illegal circumventions. I'm asking whether there is a legitimate way to do so. I also don't care whether the CD image is copyable across hard drives, just as long as it works for the same drive as I created the image from. I'm also NOT looking for simple archived .ISO files; I need to create an image that can actually be ran from instead of a CD without unpacking or reburning.

Live free or die. First option is exhausted, so guess what remains?

I know there are programs that offer this kind of functionality - my school uses them to make certain cd-roms available over the network. Depending on the game, you may simply have to adjust a path in a .ini file somewhere, or you may need special software. For the latter, Google is usually good. When I visit school again, I'll ask my system admin about it if you haven't found anything by then.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/ ... ry&catid=5

It creates a virtual drive where you can select a CD-image and use it as an ordinary drive. This will not work on all games however, since some have copy-protection that can't be circumvented that way. You will also need another program to create the actual images, and I recomend CloneCD or Alcohol 120%.