Need help installing Linux Knoppix

EugenyG

OK, so Knoppix is the noob version of Linux, so I decided to try it out since I never used Linux before.

I have a 250GB SATA drive and have partitioned it the following way:

200GB Main NTFS partition with Windows XP and all my data.

30GB RAW partition on which I want to install Linux

4.25GB FAT32 partition intended for Linux swapfile (may buy more RAM in the future so what the heck).

The 30GB partition can't be formatted in FAT32 because it's too big, and formatting it in NTFS would make Linux not work on it.

As well, I have already burned an ISO of Knoppix on a CD. It booted fine (loaded the GUI and seemed to work properly), but when I tried to install it on a hard drive (ran knx-hdinstall), it said my Hard Drive has no suitable partitions. I understand it not liking NTFS or RAW, but I don't see why it didn't detect my FAT32 partition.

I need detailed (step by step) help on installing Knoppix on a separate partition(s) of my hard drive.

I don't intend Knoppix to be my main OS. I do NOT want to have to change anything on or to my main partition (including it's size, OS, filesystem or any data). I do have a free ~35GB though, not part of the main partition, which I can use to create those 2 Linux partitions, but I need to know how to format them in the nessecary filesystems, and any other info I should know. I read several guides on installing Knoppix on an HDD, but none answered these questions.

Live free or die. First option is exhausted, so guess what remains?

First off all what you want to do is boot up with the live-cd, and run fdisk on the harddrive you want to edit( a'la /dev/hda /dev/hdb etc ), the command is like this: fdisk /dev/[the name of the harddrive], if you have done that hit the "m" key for menu, you will see a list of available keys that do different things, i suggest you check what "p" shows you, it should show you the partitsion that are on that harddrive, now, let's get the linux part done, hit the "n" key to start creating a new partitsion, then hit "p" and the number between 1-4 wich is available( 4 default etc), i can't help you from here because i have no free space to create a new partitsion, but there should be things that ask you the starting point and ending point( a'la how big you want the new part to be "3000M+".. ) you can also type a command named "man" into your terminal, it's the best friend of a linux user because man = manual, you will have to read alot and study new things, welcome to the world of linuxgeeks : )

"man fdisk" for help :P