Invisionfree to phpbb

Carlos74

My clan is thinking of moving over to phpbb from an invisionfree forum system. Is there any way that this would be possible without losing all our posts? We have about 30k posts, and we dont want to lose them..

If theres any way, complicated or not, post here.

Note: I'd probably not be interested to re-post them all, but if that is necessary, then so be it...

Okay I've done a bit of reading for you and from what I can see it's pretty difficult to do this :-?

Firstly, you have to obtain a database backup from InvisionFree, and despite their being free, this costs money. There should be a button in the admin control panel called database backup or something that should provide you with some info on how much this will cost you.

Next, I think you have to do some complex editing to the databases because InvisionFree is odd. I also read that one person skipped this step and used the database to create a new IPB forum on the trial version of the software.

Then after that you have to use the IPB -> PHPBB converter to actually convert the board.

Complex eh? :P I do however strongly reccomend moving to phpbb, as it's far better and has many more features. Additionally, if you move to phpbb and host it yourself, you get full database access so you'll never have these problems again :P

You could just create a new phpbb forum and tell your members that the old posts are at your invisionfree board. Most of your active clan members will register on the new boards in less than a week and after a month things will be prettymuch back to normal.

You can copy and paste the bbcode from the important topics on invision (stickies, rules etc.) into your new board and while there'll initially be quite a few people going back to the old board to get topics, after a while this will die down.

Okay I've done a bit of reading for you and from what I can see it's pretty difficult to do this :-?

Firstly, you have to obtain a database backup from InvisionFree, and despite their being free, this costs money. There should be a button in the admin control panel called database backup or something that should provide you with some info on how much this will cost you.

Next, I think you have to do some complex editing to the databases because InvisionFree is odd. I also read that one person skipped this step and used the database to create a new IPB forum on the trial version of the software.

Then after that you have to use the IPB -> PHPBB converter to actually convert the board.

Complex eh? :P I do however strongly reccomend moving to phpbb, as it's far better and has many more features. Additionally, if you move to phpbb and host it yourself, you get full database access so you'll never have these problems again :P

You could just create a new phpbb forum and tell your members that the old posts are at your invisionfree board. Most of your active clan members will register on the new boards in less than a week and after a month things will be prettymuch back to normal.

You can copy and paste the bbcode from the important topics on invision (stickies, rules etc.) into your new board and while there'll initially be quite a few people going back to the old board to get topics, after a while this will die down.

Cameron=GOD

Ouch!

Thats alot of forum data to lose.

I notice thi on there website

3. Can my board be backed up?... We perform frequent backups that are free and automatic. They are not available to download though.

If you contact them they might be nice and give you your database but if they dont give you the database nothing can be done about it.

I would suggest asking at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/ people here will know more about converting to phpBB than anywere else.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002