Outbreak (Zombies...IN SPACE!)

Errdoth

Yeah...nothing could be more awesome than zombies in space. If I get my [wagon] in gear I might be able to make it for nano, but probably not.

(all of my stories start out the same :( [though this is first-person, so it's a bit different, I guess])

----

Nothing had changed. I stepped out of my chamber and turned to face the brushed steel of its door. Nothing had changed. Seventeen years I'd been in that cold metal box, but to my mind and my body, not a day had passed. Technology was weird like that.

I'd been a sleeper. Some of, in fact, most of the others had opted to be placed in a virtual world for the entire trip. Not me, I just slept. It was easier that way.

They had strict re-insertion policies for the sleepers, I was brought out of biostasis a month before everyone else, to spend that entire time lying in bed with a neural link feeding me everything important that had gone on while I was sitting in that box. I remember walking over to the terminal, breathing the same filtered air, walking on the same cool tiles with my same bare feet. My toenails hadn't even grown.

I mashed the keyboard, and the screen flickered to life. The same clips. Over and over. These...these people, people who were once my friends, my colleagues, my relatives I don't even know what they were, or if they were still people at all. I watched for what seemed like hours, these mutilated, yet still recognizable bodies, just...just ravaging the entire ship. Corridor after corridor, row after row, feasting on my friends; ripping some limb from limb, yet leaving others to die from the huge bites in their necks and sides. These were the people who had spent the trip in the virtual world. I wondered what it was like for them, to die in one world while their mind was alive in another.

The thought passed, however, as the screen switched to a new feed. This video was not like the others. It was grainy, and it was moving. The camera passed down the twelve-thousand hall, my hall, and stopped at chamber 12931, my chamber. I could see light coming in through the small window in my door. The video was live.