Network Problems (in a way)

runesmithie

Ok, so I just got a wireless network set up in my house (took for frieking ever to get the drivers on Ubuntu :evil: , but anyways that's over with..) and I realized I needed to figure out what's going on with my modem.

I'm wanting to have a webserver at home (not practical on my 'piddly' 1mbit connection, but who really cares... it's just that much more experience under my belt and a summer project) and I recently found out via an online port scanner that port 80 is stealthed (apparently it can go out but requests cant come in, or somesuch). Any ideas on how to get it unstealthed? The telco that installed the modem had changed the password/uname from default and left no documentation about the new uname/password....

I've sent them two emails, but still no reply

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Ok, so I just got a wireless network set up in my house (took for frieking ever to get the drivers on Ubuntu :evil: , but anyways that's over with..) and I realized I needed to figure out what's going on with my modem.

I'm wanting to have a webserver at home (not practical on my 'piddly' 1mbit connection, but who really cares... it's just that much more experience under my belt and a summer project) and I recently found out via an online port scanner that port 80 is stealthed (apparently it can go out but requests cant come in, or somesuch). Any ideas on how to get it unstealthed? The telco that installed the modem had changed the password/uname from default and left no documentation about the new uname/password....

I've sent them two emails, but still no reply

Usually, port 80 is used for your router's web interface (most of them have one). I've never tried to change that (I run apache on this machine), I just run my webserver, can access it locally using localhost, and can forward a port from my router to port 80 on my computer. This would mean that others would be accessing my server using something like:

http://56.56.56.56:8090/ (so with a port number included). And yeah, obviously that's not the port I use nor my real IP address ;)

I don't know if your router will allow you to do NAT routing to re-route port 80, but I'm guessing that even if it would, you'd need the username and password for it, which you say you don't have... :?

Your ISP did that on purpose. They don't want you running a webserver from home. A lot of ISPs are doing that now. They also often block port 25 (SMTP) and a few other ports. They say for "security reasons". It's really for "We don't want you using up our bandwidth" reasons. (I will say leaving port 25 open is a security risk, but I won't get into that)

The only thing you can do is use a different port :-\

Your ISP did that on purpose. They don't want you running a webserver from home. A lot of ISPs are doing that now. They also often block port 25 (SMTP) and a few other ports. They say for "security reasons". It's really for "We don't want you using up our bandwidth" reasons. (I will say leaving port 25 open is a security risk, but I won't get into that)

The only thing you can do is use a different port :-\

I kinda thought they'd be more upfront about that...

It says nothing about them not wanting you to run your own web/mailserver in the terms and conditions -.-

Oh well, I only spent 160 dollars to find it's been wasted :roll:

smithie3.jpg

No, you can just set Apache to use a different port. It's in the httpd.conf file. Your URLs will just have a port number in them. No biggie.

AFAIK the modem has a built in firewall that has all ports closed =X

smithie3.jpg

ALL ports? Highly unlikely. If they closed all the ports, you wouldn't be able to browse the web.

How did you manage to get to tip.it?!?!? :lol:

They stealth 80, 25, and 23

smithie3.jpg

Strange, I never heard of an ISP doing that.

If that were true, you wouldn't be able to run any server type things, filesharing, hosting online games, etc.

I would recheck that, I highly doubt they block all the ports.

Strange, I never heard of an ISP doing that.

If that were true, you wouldn't be able to run any server type things, filesharing, hosting online games, etc.

I would recheck that, I highly doubt they block all the ports.

Lets see how it works listening at port 8090

smithie3.jpg

Ok, I went to whatismyip.com after setting apache to work on 8080 and 8090 (confirmed it worked on the LAN) I then proceeded to type in the ip I got at the site with :8080 and :8090

Both were outright refused

:80 required uname and pass

:25 was disabled for security reasons

smithie3.jpg

Well yeah, you have a router, you need to forward ports from your router (which is the first thing anyone looking up your IP from the internet encounters) to your pc. You do this using the telnet or web interface of your router, like I explained in the first reply you received on this thread...

Well yeah, you have a router, you need to forward ports from your router (which is the first thing anyone looking up your IP from the internet encounters) to your pc. You do this using the telnet or web interface of your router, like I explained in the first reply you received on this thread...

They are forwarded, but first thing anyone looking up my IP encounters is the modem.... and it filters everything out basically -.-

smithie3.jpg

They are forwarded, but first thing anyone looking up my IP encounters is the modem.... and it filters everything out basically -.-

Ah... and there's no way whatsoever to configure your modem? The fact that it asks for a username and password when connected to on port 80 seems to indicate there is :)

Ah... and there's no way whatsoever to configure your modem? The fact that it asks for a username and password when connected to on port 80 seems to indicate there is :)

There is a way, but I don't have the password or username..

smithie3.jpg