Computer Video Games; won't connect to Internet? -=SOLVED=-

Pkmastachaos

[hide=]

Did your internet service provider issue a firmware update that changed the settings of your modem? If that is the case all you would have to do is open a couple of ports in the 6100 range using tcp/udp.

If that is not it, then it may be a case of your firewall causing the problem.

If not that, then it may be a small patch error issued by the game developers.

if not that, then it may just be an incompatability issue.

I hope that one of these will solve the problem.

May I also ask for your modems type and model number?

[/hide]

Thanks for the help, I tried your suggestions but ultimately found the solution to be much simpler then I first thought. I wasn't aware of there being two other anti-viruses on this computer, one of them; Zone Alarm was infact cutting off access to the internet for the games I had mentioned. Problem now solved. Thanks. <3:

---

The problem..

So, basically whenever I try to play video games online that require an internet connection

Ex:

-Playing Diablo II; Battle.Net

-Playing Guild Wars

-Connecting to a Vanguard:SOH server (Just downloaded the game trial)

I simply cannot connect to a network/server? I'm not sure what's wrong.

Some Background Information

-Well, let me first start out by saying I CAN connect to the internet, I am currently using

Firefox, but I can also get on the web using Internet Explorer. I am sure Opera would work

as well.

-This problem seems to only affect ONE of our household computers; we have three, and I am

able to play Guild Wars/D2 on my personal computer, but on this one (Brother's comp)

it won't let us.

-Our internet service is provided by Shaw cable. We are using a Modem that is connected to

all our computers; as well as our Xbox 360.

-I'm using the free trial of AVG as a anti-virus, and I'm using the Microsoft Firewall.

-This problem seems to be only fairly recent; we were able to connect to game-servers

beforehand, my dad and brother swapped computers due to their different needs. My brother

was able to play D2 for a couple days when this problem started showing up, and hasn't been able to play since.

Here's a small collage of the sort of messages I get.

[hide=]errormessages.jpgThe Guild Wars loading screen doesn't move at all, I've tried leaving it for half an hour with no avail.[/hide]

Well, Tip.It this is where you guys come in; hopefully someone has some idea what might be wrong and some of the possible solutions I could try. But for now, I'm stumped.

Did your internet service provider issue a firmware update that changed the settings of your modem? If that is the case all you would have to do is open a couple of ports in the 6100 range using tcp/udp.

If that is not it, then it may be a case of your firewall causing the problem.

If not that, then it may be a small patch error issued by the game developers.

if not that, then it may just be an incompatability issue.

I hope that one of these will solve the problem.

May I also ask for your modems type and model number?

Quote - Revenge is such a nasty thing that only breeds more vengeful souls, but in some situations revenge does not even need to be sought out, but only bided.