Wireless problems on laptop

I've been using my wifi to connect to my internet at home, but recently I've had trouble maintaining connection. Whenever the security alarm goes off in my house, it disrupts my internet connection. My connection is also very unreliable throughout the day and can result in me having to restart the modem from my laptop. I also have trouble with other signals gaining strength over mine. Other networks in my neighborhood gain nearly full signal strength (as can be seen when I use my wifi catcher), but the signal from my modem is shown as being weak. However, my father has the same laptop as me, but he has no trouble when he's browsing the net.

I'm not sure how to fix the problem. I usually restart the computer, but that makes it a huge hassle and doesn't always work.

By the way, I use Windows Vista.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I'm assuming your security system operates on a 2.4Ghz network which is the same network your WiFi works on, alongside microwaves and cordless phones. The easiest fix, and perhaps the only viable one, would be to update all of your computers to Wireless N and buy a dual band router. That or go back to Wireless A, which would compromise your online speed.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

You can enter the html address to enter your router's firmware, or you can post the make and model of the router and I'll/we'll look it up. If you haven't bought a router in the past year, it's safe to say that it only works on the 2.4Ghz frequency. It might be capable of running N, but only at 2.4Ghz. What you want/need is N at 5Ghz which is only available through certain routers. But then you run into issues with compatibility. For example, an iPhone won't work on 5Ghz nor a computer without a proper receiver. This is where dual-band comes in, because it can send out both frequencies - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. They don't come cheap though, the only two I am aware of are from Apple and Linksys which are both USD $180.

hopesolopatriot.jpg