Football and the Olympics.

Phil

Well I'm bored so decided to start a thread that I would be interested in. I know this was in the news earlier in the month but I just want to know what other's opinions on it are. :)

An article on it can be found here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4206568.stm

The main point is that for the 2012 olympic games in London the UK is entering a football team as a whole, whereas in the past we have always thought that if they did that then FIFA would not recognise the "home nations" (Scotland, England, Wales and N. Ireland) in other competitions, which I can kind of agree with.

In past olympic games the UK hasn't entered a football team.

This is a good thing I hear you saying? Well if you knew the british game then you would know that the English game, and the England national team for that matter, is better than the other home nations, to put it bluntly. I admit that.

If/When an UK olympic team is chosen I can see it being run from England and contain nothing but English players, as this would be the strongest team.

How can they expect me and others from Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland to support a team which is our biggest rivals? For the first time will I be supporting other nations to beat the UK?

If they try to get round just choosing English players, by choosing say 5 players from each nation, then this will result in the UK having a poor team.

Obviously the SFA is against a UK team but the English FA is all for it. If the SFA says that they object then how can the name 'UK' be used? It would be whatever teams minus Scotland.

Should I even be bothered? The Olympic football competition has never been an important one, compared to the world cup, euro championships, the african nations cup or the copa america, in my opinion anyway. Only players under 23 (and 3 players over) can play in the olympic teams.

Whatever decision is made in the end, we have about 7 years to discuss this :wink:

sig2ho7.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it, olympics are hard to make teams. Like in the US with basketball, i think its wrong that they only chose NBA players and thats why they did more horribly than usual. Theres so many players that play unprofessionally that are better than NBA players.

And I think that having a team is better then having no team.

gr454rc.gif

Theres so many players that play unprofessionally that are better than NBA players.

Err... Could you explain?

Things are sick and twisted from too much sun and Nazis.

Sex, meth, and death fetishes, both of them have got these.

Guarenteed not to bore ya, Germany or Florida!

That ain't gonna work mate, can you imagine 60k odd thousand Englishmen, Scots, Welshmen and N.I men cramped into 1 stadium? that's got trouble written all over it. In principle the idea is ok. I mean I can imagine.. the Scandic nations (Finland,Sweden,Norway,Denmark) putting in a "Scandinavia" team.

But a British team nah... well unless those 60 thousand in the stadium are made out of 40 thousand bobbies and 20k actual fans.

Well that's what I think.

ponderineq1.gif

Theres so many players that play unprofessionally that are better than NBA players.

Err... Could you explain?

NBA is the national basketball association... And they usually draft people from college ball or high school. Theres people that play basketball besides these people that go into the NBA that are very good. Street players are pretty good in my area.

gr454rc.gif

Whatever decision is made in the end, we have about 7 years to discuss this :wink:

Lol,

Yea I agree, it would be good to enter, but hard to get all the home nations to agree. Even though the team would mainly be England, there are some decent players such as Ryan Giggs from Wales.

hofclan11zd.gif

100+ Combat :: 100+ Members :: 107 Combat Average

-{Click sig to join Heroes of the Future}-

Yea I agree, it would be good to enter, but hard to get all the home nations to agree. Even though the team would mainly be England, there are some decent players such as Ryan Giggs from Wales.

Remember though, in 7 years people like him will have probably retired.

Plus, aren't you only allowed 3 players over the age of 23 for an olympic team?

I wouldn't worry about it, olympics are hard to make teams. Like in the US with basketball, i think its wrong that they only chose NBA players and thats why they did more horribly than usual. Theres so many players that play unprofessionally that are better than NBA players.

And I think that having a team is better then having no team.

Yes, there are other players, but there's no excuse for our basketball team to lose. The problem is they make a team of a bunch of hot shots and it doesn't work having 5 players on the court all trying to play a 1 man game. It's not a team. If the players weren't so full of themselves maybe they'd win for once. You'd have a lot better chance just sending an existing pro or college team because they already play together. (if they already do this then ignore me cause I'm obviously out of the loop)

I have living in America, I thought you meant US football being in the Olympics :(. I wanted to flame.

NBA is the national basketball association... And they usually draft people from college ball or high school. Theres people that play basketball besides these people that go into the NBA that are very good. Street players are pretty good in my area.

You'd think that if they were good enough to make the NBA, they'd play in the NBA. I'll bet that most street players would be happy to be paid a couple hundred thousand a year. In any case, you'd have to teach street players an entirly new game if you wanted them to play in the Olympics. Much cheaper, easier, and more reliable to take players from the NBA.

Things are sick and twisted from too much sun and Nazis.

Sex, meth, and death fetishes, both of them have got these.

Guarenteed not to bore ya, Germany or Florida!