Home Network Troubles

Mikeob1

I recently set up a network in my home and I have run into some troubles. I used to able to access shared files that were on my laptop from my PC, but today I set up a password on the network, and since then I have no been able to acess any shared files. I don't want to have to get rid of the password because my dad feels it isn't safe enough. Also the laptop cannot print to the printer connected to the PC nor can it access any files that have been designated as shared on the PC.

Here's the brief set-up:

PC: Connect directly to router. Running Windows XP Professional. Cannot see the laptop under workgroup computers, nor can it see any of the laptop's shared files.

Laptop: Wireless connection. Runnning Windows XP Home Edition. Can view the PC under workgroup computers, but cannot access the printer or PC's Shared Files.

Printer: Connected Directly to PC

XBox: Connect directly to router

Thanks in advance for the advice and tips.

Note: The Printer is designated as shared.

Specs of all hardware mentioned? Specifically the router, NICs and wireless.

Generally what you have is the router (generally hooked up to the modem), then you have the network printer plugged into that and all other network computers into the router aswell. Since the printer is directly into a computer I assume there is no printer port on the router? Which would make it just a simple 4 port router then?

I'll also assume that the router has a wireless adapter for the laptop? If you're using one computer to 'network' the others despite having a router I should slap you :P

As it is now it sounds like the PC is your primarly computer. So for anything else to function it seems like that HAS to be logged in. The Xbox as it is now is pretty irrelevant.

In all honestly, having a password on the network is pointless. But since you have a wireless in place the easiest and most secure method is to just do the following:

1. Remove the password on the network

2. Disable DHCP in the router

3. Assign a static IP for every computer in the network

That should pretty much do it.

Router: Belkin Wireless G Router: 54 Mbps 2.4GHz. It is the simple 4-port like you said, with no printer port, or at least not one that I can find on it.

PC: Pentium 4, 3.00 GHz 512 MB of RAM (Not sure if this is at all relevant.)

Laptop: Pentium 3, 800 MHz, 248 MB or RAM with Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card. (looking for specs on it)

What's a NIC