IDE Port trouble

Bubsa

This bites >.<

I turned on my PC today, logged on to windows and went to my additional hard drive. Not there. Hmm, I thought. So I rebooted windows and found that it didn't detect the secondary slave. Cripes, was my next thought.

So I took the covers off the case to see if the cable was connected properly. Started windows again, still nothing.

I then began to think the worst; what if my hard drive was smegged. Well, I went to my friends office and attached it to his PC there, which found no problems detecting it. That was a relief, so then I tried the IDE cable from my PC on it, to see if the cable was crudded. Again, that worked fine.

So I'm left wondering what was happened to by IDE2 port. I've got the horrible feeling that some jackass has short circuited it or something. Either way, I'm pretty sure I have damaged IDE2 port. My question is, can these ports be repaired/replaced, or do I have to shell out on a whole new motherboard? That would piss me off no end. TBH, I can't actually remember what motherboard I have now and damn me if I open up this PC one more time.

As I said, the hard drive is additional, explaining why I can boot up windows etc. The only stuff on the hard drive are My Documents, but there's a hell of a lot of stuff on that I'd like to keep. I got the extra hard drive because my C:\ is too small to keep the My Documents stuff on it.

So, am I looking at a new motherboard job? Is there anyway to fix the ports? Should I look to get on OS on my additional hard drive, upload my C:\ to online storage and then download it onto that new drive, thus only requiring one IDE port? Can I clone my boot drive onto my additional drive? Should I stop asking questions?

I'm looking for cost and time efficiency. I really do need your help guys.

Thanks for reading.

temp solution... get a IDE addon card it will allow windows and the computer to recognize the other drive

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!

temp solution... get a IDE addon card it will allow windows and the computer to recognize the other drive

D'oh :oops: I had no idea these existed!

I found This little guy. Would I just plug that in to the PCI port and use my current IDE cables?

looks like

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!