Typography Project (WIP) 1-13

Pat_61

So as I was browsing DeviantArt, I got inspiration to do a typography piece. As I was downloading the latest version of Inkscape to start, I decided to make up a mock up in paint just to get a feel for word placement, spacing, size etc. What do you think of the mock up. I am planning on adding music related pictures for effect on some letters/words and stuff like that.

Based on:

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

- Sergei Rachmaninov

NEWEST MOCK-UP

Currently deciphering for words/phrases.

typo.png

[hide=In case that doesn't work]2rm4c4g.jpg[/hide]

[hide=Mock 1]typographyprojectwip.png[/hide]

Thanks

-Pat

I Support TET!| If you want bunny PM Me.|Click For My DevArt

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^

IT'S A TRAP SHINY JUST WANTS TO STALK YOU.

Hell yeah I do. Whats your msn?

That's how it all starts.

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

No sir, I don't like it.

Woah man. Thanks for that descriptive post on what to do better. I knew the gallery still had some quality people to help you with c/c. Your up there with the greats like Nadril and Demented Hero(and maybe even Shiny and Littleboy(Sam) :blink:). I just hope I can give c/c that is that good while I am back here in the gallery. Thanks man, you are a life saver. [/sarcasm]

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

The initial idea is good, but the implementation isn't really very good.

Your biggest problem is composition.

In this example I have used the simple fact that the quote mirrors itself- The reason why the quote is perceived as interesting- as a base for the composition. This is just rough, otherwise I would find a way to have "Is enough for" to be on its own line to mirror "Is not enough for", and emphasize the two "Lifetime"s somehow, both to make it mirror itself more. Also I would fix the reading rhythm (Those fixes would probably do just that actually).

musicv.png

My point is that you should try to take some characteristic of the quote and make it into a visual pun. That's what (good) typography these days tends to be.

Your second problem is your font choice. This is a mockup like you said so of course you would probably give the font more thought later, but let me recommend you a site, http://fontsquirrel.com. All the fonts are free, and they are generally high quality (The font I used is from there, called Bebas Neue). The font you used is mostly utilitarian, and I would also avoid italics unless you really feel you know what you're doing.

C2b6gs7.png

dsavi brings up some good points. Right now it's not particularly visually appealing. It's kind of jagged, overly complicated and the words just feel all over the place. You have to make a pretty big effort to figure out what you're saying.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

dsavi brings up some good points. Right now it's not particularly visually appealing. It's kind of jagged, overly complicated and the words just feel all over the place. You have to make a pretty big effort to figure out what you're saying.

This. The best typography is simple, yet visually striking.

lampost_sig_stark.png

Ok thanks guys ^^ yeah, I picked the quote because it mirrored I thought it would be good for a typography. I will do another mock up with more detail later today. I tried to covey the words like LIFETIME by spreading the letters to show length and then the next one being smaller in comparison to its part. I tried to increase the size of more important words in the quote. Sorry if this seems random, I am writing quickly as my mom wants the computer XD

EDIT: New mock up

typor.png

Currently looking for words.

How do you change the physical background color in inkscape?

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^

Image doesn't work :-(

The background color is actually transparent by default, you need to create a rectangle to make the background, and give it color with CTRL+Shift+F, then change the fill color. Inkscape doesn't show the transparency of the background because that's a common practice in vector graphics editors (Illustrator and the like).

This. The best typography is simple, yet visually striking.

Yeah maybe not so in-your-face though. Now that I look at it again I see it went a bit overboard.

C2b6gs7.png

I saw... re uploaded, two sites this time...

typo.png

2rm4c4g.jpg

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^