Got a new computer but still have lag problems

chucko4

Well most of the time my computer is perfect for rs....but every 30 to 45 seconds or so everything on rs freezes for 2-4 seconds and when it stops, it kind of fast forwards the parts i missed if u could understand that...which makes pking very frusterating...

I got a Emachines T5022 pc with pentium 4 processor

-2.93 GHz

-533 MHz FSB

-1 MB L2 Cache

160GB 7200 RPM SATA HD

1024 MB DDR Dual Channel memory

I also have a tv program that takes up a pci slot that makes it so i can watch cable on my computer. Can i remove my current (listed below) "stock" graphics card and upgrade without losing anything of importance which is located on the "stock" graphics card.

Video: Intel graphics media accelerator 900 - is this the problem?

Would purchasing a new graphics card correct my problem? If so what card do you recommend? If not, what do you think is the problem?

Thanks

~Old School Scaper~

From the sounds of the problem it seems more like a connection issue then hardware. What is your internet connection?

With regards to the graphics card. You would not be able to remove it, because it is not a card but is intergrated into the motherboard. Purchasing a graphics card would not improve runescape (atleast I doubt it would), although it would improve most other new games.

Edit: Suggested cards 6600GT, 6800GS, 7800GT. Although any current stand alone graphic card would give better preformance.

I'm not totally on the specifics but the router is linksys in my basement and i plug my ethernet cable into a netgear adapter which plugs into the wall, i think it runs by copper wire to my room ( on the top floor) Would getting my own router for my room solve my problem?

~Old School Scaper~

might help, although RS does not require much, Your connection seems alright. If it is a poor connection, Particularly on dial up, it can cause simalar problems... although yours sound more uniform then really to be expected.

The thing which makes me wonder if the connection is to blame is the fact that it seem to happen on 2 different machines....

what is your internet type? Cable, DSL, VDSL, T1, etc?

What is the speed of internet? 56k (:D), 100k, 300k, 500k, etc)?

What the model of the access point(router)?

What model is netgear adapter?

What kind of adapter?

By the way netgear sucks from all my personal experiences..Linksys and iblitzz are best

Is he router wireless B or G?

Since its linksys, does it have something like speedbooster or whatever?

Is the adapter Wireless B or G?

If you can give me the transfer speeds(in mb/s)

Is it wireless at all?

Whats the distance between router and adapter?

Are there any walls in between?

Also whats the frequency of the signal if wireless(usually says on router or manual, measured in ghz)?

Answering those questions will help us a lot with your problem