Recommend a Computer to a Tech Newb

Cheat

Well as I'm sure many of you know Skyrim is coming out soon and I really need to get a better computer because my current IBM think-pad is really pretty awful. I don't know much about the relative processors and the amount of RAM I need so I need your advice and your explanations. I want a computer capable of playing Skyrim well basically - what kind of computer would I be lookin at for around £600? A recommended model would be very nice - I would prefer it to be a laptop if possible but it is not essential.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Well as I'm sure many of you know Skyrim is coming out soon and I really need to get a better computer because my current IBM think-pad is really pretty awful. I don't know much about the relative processors and the amount of RAM I need so I need your advice and your explanations. I want a computer capable of playing Skyrim well basically - what kind of computer would I be lookin at for around £600? A recommended model would be very nice - I would prefer it to be a laptop if possible but it is not essential.

If you want to play it well then a laptop will not work for you. If you are wanting this basically for Skyrim and video gaming in general over other stuff then processor and RAM isn't quite as important as the video card (but they are still important). Also if you could wait a few months until it gets closer to 11/11/11 then you are better off, that's what I am doing.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Why would a laptop not work? I would be using a normal mouse is it just because generally laptops lack power?

2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Generally speaking you get more performance "bang for your buck" out of Desktop then you would on a laptop. Along with the ability to customize it for your needs, you have the ability to upgrade it and change components freely. Now the question here is are you in any way capable of building your own computer which would save you a lot of money. If not, we could still find something in your price range that will satisfy your gaming needs.

randomkcopyq.png

Generally speaking you get more performance "bang for your buck" out of Desktop then you would on a laptop. Along with the ability to customize it for your needs, you have the ability to upgrade it and change components freely. Now the question here is are you in any way capable of building your own computer which would save you a lot of money. If not, we could still find something in your price range that will satisfy your gaming needs.

If you can find some smaller computer shops instead of the Big Box Stores they often have simple builds in nice towers. Just as if you had built it yourself. I'm not a fan of buying a prebuilt desktop now that I've finally put one together I wouldn't do it any other way. While looking inside a Dell XPS desktop yesterday it's all jammed in there and unorganized. Just makes it difficult to upgrade just the video card or other parts without removing a lot of the plastic pieces they add for some reason. But for the Desktop I have around $1500 in I'd say the laptop would be somewhere between $3000-3500, if it's even possible, which I don't think it is with an AMD Athlon X6 1090t.

So if you can handle a desktop and it will work for you then I would get a desktop. You can also get a nice large 24" monitor now fairly cheap if you shop at the right place. :thumbsup:

Ok thanks for your advice everyone I will consider - any more is till appreciated. Also ammusingly my skype has recognised $3000 - 3500 as a iranian phone number.

2mqj8rr.png

Ok thanks for your advice everyone I will consider - any more is till appreciated. Also ammusingly my skype has recognised $3000 - 3500 as a iranian phone number.

I'm in Canada so I know the prices are a bit different there and products are different as well. I'm not familiar with the game myself either but if you want to upgrade a laptop in the future it's almost impossible for most. And the ones you can are very expensive. Did you try the number? :P

If you do enough research, you should consider building a computer yourself. I just spent about $850 on all the essentials for a new desktop, and the only things I already had were memory, a hard drive, and a DVD read/writer. I bought mostly builder-series type items, which is basically a step or so down from what computer enthusiasts would purchase, and when I finish putting it all together (still waiting on some parts), It will be a pretty good machine and will run some pretty sweet games.

The most important part of the computer for gaming would be your video/graphics card, which is one of the reasons you might want to stay away from laptops. Graphics cards get hot, and laptops still don't have good ways of cooling themselves down. Also, its much easier to find cheaper cards for desktops. My MSI nvidia GTX 550 ti card cost me less than $150, and from my viewpoint (this is my first build, so i'm still no expert on this stuff) I would say it is middle-of-the-road. The better your card though, the better the stuff that supports it has to be, so watch out with these.

As for your computer, If you want to keep it near $600, just buy stuff with slightly lower specs. My CPU was $315 alone. There are some pretty good AMD processors out there for cheap, and some first generation i5 chips from intel max out around $200 too, and these are pretty decent chips. It's pretty easy to build a fairly good $600 machine if you start by listing everything you need before you look at any individual parts, it just won't be a super computer. Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :thumbsup:

Steviej.png

My account spent most of the last 10 months "locked"