New Graphics Card

VARN

The problems from this thread still exist and it is frustrating. I have tried replacing the power supply, now I am going to replace the graphics card. What information do I need from the computer to see if it is compatible?

The card I bought, BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC2 580MHl 320MB 1.7GHz GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP was about 350 when I got it; so that will be my budget and I will be getting it from NCIX.

I was also hopping to plug in a TV as well, but my current one only has RCA connections.

Any suggestions?

Make sure you have enough power for the card you buy (use the newegg calculator), and that you have the right slot for it, i.e. PCIe-16x vs. AGP. For your pricerange, you're looking at a GTX 570 being your best option. Remember if you use NCIX to price shop around, and pricematch to the lowest price.

As for the TV, you'd need a DVI-VGA adapter plug, which usually comes with the card, and then a VGA-RCA cable.

I have a 750 watt power supply; the mother board I have is ASUS P5N32-E SLI Nforce 6801 SLI LGA775 Conroe ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 RAID. I just looked up GTX 570 and there is a list of 20 different cards, which should I choose?

The most I would be doing with is at the moment is watching a video, playing runescape and 3d AutoCAD if that matters.

What information do I need from the computer to see if it is compatible?

Your motherboard has a PCI 2.x connector so that should be fine. So long as your PSU has enough wattage and the correct connectors for the card, you should be fine.

I was also hopping to plug in a TV as well, but my current one only has RCA connections.

You can get DVI/VGA to RCA connectors off amazon/ebay/what have you pretty easily.

edit: uh yeah I was beat to it :P wrote this up but forgot to hit post.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I have a 750 watt power supply; the mother board I have is ASUS P5N32-E SLI Nforce 6801 SLI LGA775 Conroe ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 RAID. I just looked up GTX 570 and there is a list of 20 different cards, which should I choose?

The most I would be doing with is at the moment is watching a video, playing runescape and 3d AutoCAD if that matters.

If that's all you need, a 560ti or even a 5770 might be a better choice for you. I'm not sure how demanding AutoCAD is though.

Thank you, this has narrowed my selection down. Just in case the old card has nothing wrong with it, can I install both? I also convert ISO files using MeGUI, this takes about 8 to 12 hours with this computer.

I wouldn't recommend it - if you get a different card to the one you have already and stick them in SLI, both cards will run at the slowest cards settings.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Don't SLI your current card with a newer, better card. Either buy an identical card, or sell your current one and replace it.

As for which GPU to get, I would suggest a GTX560ti. Look at these:

GPU 1

GPU2

These are factory overcloked cards that will run extremely cool. Depending on your current processor, you should be able to max any current game with ease.

Actually, it would be nice to know what processor you're currently using.