[DG Guide] Puzzles.

Tui

Puzzles

By Tui

Written by and for Dungeonsweepers members.

Version history

• v2.08 - Released on tif [04/12/2011]
  • v2.09 - Ports vid, 3s, blox, polt pics [04/12/2011]

This is an advanced puzzles guide, it does not necessarily teach you the basics of most puzzles. It teaches you the fastest way to do each puzzle, or gives you tips on the puzzle.

I recommend reading a basic dg puzzle guide before reading this guide.

Table of contents

• 1.01 - Hunt Ferret
  • 1.02 - Coloured Lodestones
  • 1.03 - Fish Ferret
  • 1.04 - Agility Lodestone
  • 1.05 - Coloured Ferrets
  • 1.06 - Rc flip puzzle
  • 1.07 - Pondstakers
  • 1.08 - Portals
  • 1.09 - Books
  • 1.10 - Wines
  • 1.11 - Grooves
  • 1.12 - Seeker's Sentinel
  • 1.13 - Misc
  • 1.14 - Agility rooms
  • 1.15 - Summ riddle
  • 1.16 - Mono
  • 1.17 - Ghosts
  • 1.18 - 3 Stats
  • 1.19 - Emotes
  • 1.20 - Levers
  • 1.21 - Barrels
  • 1.22 - Coloured blocks
  • 1.23 - Polter
  • 1.24 - Sidestepping

Puzzles

1.01 - Hunt Ferret

[spoiler=Traps]

• Hunt ferret will always spawn in the southwest of the 4 yellow center squares when you open the room.
  • But because the entire room can be rotated, it'll look like it spawns in one of the 4 yellow squares.
  • Set a trap where it 'spawned'.
  • Draw a line north, east, south, and west from that point. If this line passes through any wall, place a trap directly behind said wall.

huntfersetup1.png

Those are the only places it'll ever stop. Note that there are 3 wall setups.

In terms of strategy, usually I don't place a trap by the wall nearest to the door I want to go into because the room is usually complete after 2 traps. It's a good place to stand, in the western blue square, the ferret will still stop and is faster than waiting outside.

2nd wall setup:

huntfertest4.png

3rd wall setup:

huntfersetup3.png

A note about reqs -

• Laying a trap and hand catching rarely have the same reqs.
  • Traps cannot be dropped, but can be traded, bypassing the fletch req if someone else has the hunt req but not fletch.
  • Once a trap has been laid, the requirements for that trap disappears. So Player A can lay a trap, and player B pick it up (or trade it) and regardless of player b's hunt level, they can now place the trap. This can be useful to avoid having to mgt.

Dw hunt's my lowest skill :>

[spoiler=One shotting]You must have 2 squares inbetween you and the ferret.

Here's an example vid of me attempting it (but being bit and ragequitting).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNnm5sdApjc

After seeing a couple more examples you can probably figure out all, but here’s all possible 1 shots.

The circles show spawn or stop points, the squares are where you stand before clicking catch.

huntferoneshot1.png

huntferoneshot2.png

huntferoneshot3.png

huntferoneshot4.png

huntferoneshot5.png

huntferoneshot6.png

huntferoneshot7.png

Note that you cannot oneshot all spawns. You can around 50% of the time.

In warped floors there are wall bits sticking out in some hunt ferrets that you can use to hand catch.

wallfer.png

Like this ^, ferret is stuck but can still bite/stun you.

1.02 - Coloured Lodestones

[spoiler=The Lodestone has Psyche]

Blinking lights.

The lodestone room can be completed in significantly less time using the “one shotting” technique. By activating a lodestone just as center one is lit up' date=' the newly activated light will be in sync with the rest. This completes the puzzle much more smoothly than having multiple people delay the lights. Thanks to Matt Marche and z0diark for this week's trivia.

An example video of the trivia in action:

[media']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TztTTjIwpx0[/media]

These lights move at 1 square per tick. Since you run at 2 squares per tick, you can run over it and not affect it.

A pretty picture that's useless:

clodes.png

1.03 - Fish Ferret

[spoiler=Ffffff]

You can cook the vile fish on any fire. It's often easier to grab some logs and let someone cook the fish that way rather than having to mgt back and forth.

Since Jet's guide is long, here's DGS' trivia version of fish ferrets. Note that the puzzle can be rotated.

Week of: June 13th, 2011.

Fish ferrets.

ff1l.png

Red X's can be either ferret spawn or the pressure tiles, it can be any two, all are solveable within 3, the majority two.

The ferret moves diagonally first, then straight as shown in the example.

ff2j.png

Credits to Toad for this trivia.

1.04 - Agility lodestone

[spoiler=Jumpy]This is how to do it without a gate. 5 moves.

agilode.png

If the sphere goes to the blue circle take the blue path, and vice versa.

Here's a vid of me doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdeFaeoBK54

Method to do it with gates:

agilode2.png

agilode3.png

agilode4.png

Another method is place your gate/ggs in the middle 2 rows and tele away/die and then tele back to the middle 2 rows. Then the orb doesn't appear. It might be better than the previous method with gates. It's a nice failsafe if you're about to die doing this room. I think it's worth it to always attempt the method without a gate. I do not think it depends on your agility level, but have not really done testing.

agilode5.png

If you are doing this method it is best to drop the gate in the purple circle.

The middle 2 rows are enclosed by a yellow rectangle for your viewing enlightenment.

1.05 - Coloured ferrets

[spoiler=Cfers]cfers1.png

Ferrets move once every 2 game ticks, these ticks go on throughout the dng constantly

If you stand under them, they move after 1 game tick in a random direction.

They move if you are within it’s 3x3 square .. or 5x5 if you consider it the center

F - -

- - -

- - P

As npcs, they move west / east before north/south with obstacles, like something blocking diagonally.

Imo it's mostly a puzzle you need to do yourself until it's easy.

Here's a vid of an occasional technique you need to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IesYuXfj_oU

I am walking back and forth because if I stood there the ferret would go N then diagonally NW.

This is because of the way ferrets detect you (every second tick).

1.06 - Rc flip puzzle

[spoiler=Flippin out]There is a simulator of this puzzle on xp-w in this topic:

http://www.xp-waste....zzles-t806.html

Ctrl + f: 1.06

Have fun tongue.gif

Personally I try to flip and force such that I complete it in the least amount of moves.

This puzzle is based off a real puzzle called "Lights out". There are methods to solve it without forcing, but I think it's almost always slower.

1.07 - Pondskaters

[spoiler=Skaters]Always click the first one you see. If that doesn't get it spam click others. If you get to the point where they return to the center spam click that one.

The one with the key spawns in the SW square when they start in the center. It also always returns to the SW at the begining of each cycle. They can go diagonally and through each other while there is plenty of space, so the correct one isn't hugely more likely to be in the SW area. If there are multiple people in the room I generally click the SW area as most people click the nearest one.

Pondskater’s entire cycle is 28 ticks

Random standard useless pic:

skaters1.png

1.08 - Portals

[spoiler=Think with them]

• Pick one the 3 starting portals & note it in your head.
  • Go through it, and keep taking the opposite portal of where you end up
    - For example, if you end up at an S portal in one of the rooms, go north.
  • Continue doing this until you reach center
  • If you are led back to the 3 starting portals, take the remaining portal and do the opposites method
    - It is guarranteed to get you to the center this time

This isn't always the fastest method to get to the center, but it is the most consistent. It avoids backtracking and thus has the highest chance of getting you to the center fastest.

Here is an example of it:

ports3.png

Follow the example lines of doing the "opposites" method.

And here is an example vid of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPa3ftOLFl0

Note: The portals are linked differently each time.

The minimum amount of portals to reach the ending is 3. For a specific setup, the minimum can be larger.

In solo meds, stepping on any of the pressure plates causes the room to unlock.

Mappings (just in case we find patterns in the future):

ports1.png

ports2g.png

Once you've reached the center, tell your teammates which way to go. Often people will direct with "E opps" type thing, telling you to start at the east portal and then do the opposites method described here.

An additional note: Pressure pads in dungeoneering are weirdly coded. If you step onto 1 pressure pad from another pressure pad, RS does not necessarily register that you are on a different one, for whatever reason. This means that if you walk onto your pressure pad diagonally it may not activate the room (and leads to some funny scenarios in Emote rooms).

1.09 - Books

[spoiler=Book barrage]

Here's an example vid of doing the books puzzle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdcH8eOYaQ

I might try and create a condensed version of Jett's guide to fit in here. Jett's guide is good, though a bit hard to read.

1.10 - Wines

[spoiler=Devil's snare]For doing the puzzle, the big one changes twice as fast as the small flowers. You cut when they’re the same colour. The order they all go is: Pink > Yellow > Blue > Purple

The big flower changes every 6 ticks. The small flowers change every 12 ticks.

They are uncutable for 2-3 ticks while changing.

These layouts show the fastest method to get to the big flower. For some, you need to be fast. Obviously if you wait too long then it will not help you. It's worth memorizing these eventually.

Layouts:

1 -

wines1.png

2 -

wines2.png

3 -

wines3.png

4 -

wines4.png

Note: Am not quite 100% sure on this one. The rest I am.

5 -

wines5.png

Note: This one depends on your doorlag. The one in red is the one with little doorlag and fast reflexes. It's 6 ticks faster I think.

6 -

wines6.png

7 -

wines7.png

I am pretty sure there are only 7 layouts.

1.11 - Grooves

[spoiler=Spikes]If you're dying, there are 3 tricks for these:

• Gate trick

[spoiler=Watch this vid if you do not understand gate trick]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y0xcknmwVk

• Do the thief req (slow)
  • Switch to gatherer's ring for them

Other than obviously just getting food or accepting a death etc.

1.12 - Seeker’s sentinel

[spoiler=Spawn spawns]

• These only appear in abandoned floors.
  • Getting hit by the big one makes you teleport to a random door in the room which is often faster than smacking the tiny ones.
  • You may have to be moving for the big one to teleport you sometimes. The mechanics of this puzzle aren't really researched.

1.13 - Misc

[spoiler=???]Quote from dgs trivia of July 30th 2011:

He's NOT Dead, Jim(i):

If you get multiples of the same puzzles that require you to make things to solve them in the same dungeon (e.g. coloured blocks requiring you to make coloured dye, herblore puzzle requiring you to pick herbs, grapple room requiring you to make a grappling hook from meatcorn/a broken hook etc.) and you are unable to complete one of them due to the level being out of the pot range, you can use the resource you make (hook, herb, dye) from the first door you WERE able to do to complete the second door you were NOT able to do. This can turn a dead door into your best friend.

Invisible bridges:

Did you know that, in a grapple room with a winch, if 2 or more people throw a grapple at the same time, the bridge will appear without having to wind the winch? This can save 5-10 seconds for this room, not much, but it's something.

Thanks to IHasChicken for this weeks trivia.

Herblore notes:

110630040745.png

I recommend adding this to your notes if you are new to dng.

You can open your map during skill door/puzzle animations. Monsters attacking you will not interrupt your map until the animation is finished.

So naturally this is a great time to open your map.

1.14 - Agility rooms

[spoiler=Agi]It is much faster to take the GT past the agility req, rather than going all the way around and opening the door. The agility level requirement is only on the 1st thing, the rest is doable by anybody.

1.15 - Summ riddle

[spoiler=Thok's fists]

Use this until you've memorized the answers:

http://www.tip.it/ru...ide.htm#puzzles

Enigmatic Hoardstalker.

You can use your own items for this. I.e. your hammer from your toolkit is faster to use. You can also do things like cast bones to bananas if you don't have the thief req for the doors.

1.16 - Mono

[spoiler=Fish xp]

• Shades do not spawn in the NE of the room.
  • Levels and numbers of spawns are fairly random, unless you just had a "hard" room (mono, ghosts, ramo, merc, grooves), in which case all shades might be level 1.
  • You do not necessarily need to complete the puzzle to open all doors. Sometimes a door will be a regular door or skill door.

For soloing, a great strategy is to use hex/csb to aggro and gate trick constantly when you are being piled, except while aggro'ing new spawns. Credits to Namyaila for this strategy.

Here's a vid of it. I mess up a fair bit, but it gets the point across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozayUOB4kNY

Note: You can eat while pgt'ing. I'm just failure.

1.17 - Ghosts

[spoiler=Goats]In level 169 ghost rooms, if the "spirit" is inside a ghost, that ghost will become level 136. This can help you find which one is weak to damage faster.

When the spirit transfers to a ghost, it actually creates a whole new NPC. This new NPC replaces the old one and has much lower defense than the other ghosts. Ghosts without the spirit are not invincible, but they have incredibly high defense. Because a new NPC is created when the spirit goes into a ghost, it looks like the ghost heals any damage it might've taken.

When the spirit leaves the ghost, it also replaces that NPC with a new ghost NPC.

Unlike ghosts in other rooms, these ghosts are hexable.

Ghosts can melee diagonally.

1.18 - 3 stats

[spoiler=3s]Like in Mono rooms, you do not necessarily need to complete the puzzle to open all doors. Sometimes a door will be a regular door, skill door, or gd.

Memorize this order:

10s.png

1.19 - Emotes

[spoiler=Cri]If you step off your pad diagonally onto another pad, the game continues the emotes process. You can even do someone else's emote, them do yours, and swap places like this and it'll be correct.

1.20 - Levers

[spoiler=Levs]For doing 2 levs:

Type 3, Click the first lever, hit enter, click the 2nd lever. It all has to be very fast, but that's the order. If you say 3 before you start, you won't have enough time.

1.21 - Barrels

[spoiler=Rq]The barrels in the room are NPCs. Therefore, if dum ideuts are blocking you from pushing the barrel to the stream (or monsters), you can trample them and push freely. A better method however is to RQ the floor.

1.22 - Coloured blocks

[spoiler=Blox]Just like barrels, the blocks are NPCs, and thus you can trample things that get in your way. (Although you can pull, so it doesn't really matter).

This puzzle is straightforward, but here's a vid to watch of it if you so desire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqbxCAXUDIY

Memorize this eventually:

bloxinterface.png

If multiple people are getting the vials, the first person to reach them should take the first two (blue and green), and the second person take the last 2 (yellow and violet).

If there are non-hooded people in the team, they should push/pull while hooded people get the vials.

1.23 - Polter

[spoiler=Buyin hud]

Memorise first and second page eventually:

poltpage1.png

2nd page:

poltpage2.png

1.24 - Sidestepping

[spoiler=Ffs idiot]A lot of people don't actually know how to walk around monsters to safespot them. If you walk through them it does not work. Your ending point must be North or South of the middle monster.

It also works with players blocking but they do not seem to like having angry melee monsters trapped behind them

110605193602.png

110605193606.png

110605193610.png

I'll probably do a more in depth version eventually but I just thought I'd show this for those who don't know.

So when people say "don't trample ffs" that means you walked through the monsters, letting meleers hurt people. Don't do that.

Note: This does not actually belong in a puzzles guide. It will be removed once dgs releases a survival guide. This mechanic is quite useful for gds, ramos, mercs, etc.

To do list:

• Write better cfers
  • Research maze layouts
  • Flowers (Might have a mistake)
  • Books(?) - Jet has guide but it is long
  • Fish Ferret(?) - ^
  • Add example vids of most puzzles

Thanks for reading. Credits to Dungeonsweepers & Xp-waste members for this guide.

Special thanks to Blade, USA, Jet, and Rare.

P0lPXdo.png

This isn't necessarily the best move for XP-W to prosper. But this was intended more to pique interest in the dg metagame & spread knowledge of how to actually do these puzzles. I care about dgs way more than xpw, mere.

P0lPXdo.png