Grand Exchange Calculator

Hi,

A while ago, I began making Runecape spreadsheets using Google Docs and importing prices to calculate profits generated from doing various activities. I would like to clean some things up and create calculators similar to the ones on both tip.it and the Runescape wiki. I basically want to have a couple input boxes and an area where info is returned. I'm not asking for code, but can I have a few pointers and hints on where to start? I want this embedded in a webpage, so I'm assuming JavaScript is the language I have to use, but other than that, I don't know where to start.

You don't necessarily need to use javascript, but I do agree that it probably makes the most sense.

You'd probably want to start by familiarizing yourself with the various formulas for the calcs.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I was told by a friend that my project would be easier to do using php. Is php something that will work well?

It's certainly possible to do using php, although I'm not sure why it would be easier.

If you use javascript, you can do all the processing client side - using php the main change is passing the parameters (such as skill level, xp, etc) to the server, calculating the result there, and returning it.

Do you have any any prior experience with either javascript or php?

polvCwJ.gif

I do not. I have a basic understanding of OOP, having used Java for some minecraft mods. I was told that I can learn php in a week or less, but since I'm practically clueless right now, I'd like to hear any idea you have that could make this project simpler for a beginner like me.

My advice is that whenever you need to ask for help as simple as this, you don't have the necessary knowledge of the language to tackle such a project (although the calculators are not that complex).

PHP is not an overly difficult language to learn, but I don't think JavaScript is either. If I were you I'd try working through some php or JavaScript tutorials online, doing some simple programs, and by that point you should have a much better idea of exactly how to go about making a calculator.

polvCwJ.gif