SMC Barricade g 2804WBRP-G

morpetk

Good day all,

I got a question that may take only a few seconds to pros... I have the router described upper. I'd like to do 2 things:

1. Use it with a fix computer that is quite far from my internet arrival ==> no way to use it with RJ45 wire. I need to receive the wifi, but I don't know how to use it as a wifi receiver.... Is it possible? If it is, what should I do?

2. To this fixed computer, I have a printer. Do you know what are the steps to be followed to go through my SMC router so that other computers could use the printer as well with wifi conenctions?

Many thanks for your help cause I am stuck!

Pierre

Does the fixed computer have a wireless card of it's own that is simply out of range, or are you hoping to use the router as a wireless receiver?

I took a look at the router, and it seems that it's quite typical in that all it can do is share an internet signal. This means it's only useful from the modem end of the connection.

Whether the computer you are trying to reach is itself wireless or not, your best bet is probably a wireless repeater. I have a DAP-1360 myself, which seems to work quite well. If the PC is wireless, you want it set up as a repeater to extend the range of the wireless signal, meaning you want it about halfway between the computer and router in a position where it has a good signal to both. If the computer is not wireless, and it's not that far outside the routers range, I believe many of them (such as the one I use) can also act as a remote access point. You would place it someplace where it can get the signal, and run an ethernet cable back to the computer, making it a remote wireless card (it will only work for a single computer when used this way).

For the printer, I believe there is a way in windows to make it a shared device, which should allow other computers on the local network to access it through that computer. It's not something I have done in a long time though, so I wouldn't be able to walk you through that. If the printer could be moved, that router I believe also has a usb port where the printer could be connected. Also, depending on the printer, many of them have some form of networking capability, be it ethernet cable, wireless, or bluetooth.