missing system file

rob0282

whenever i start up my computer it starts loading up the oS (windows 2000 service pack 4) but freezes and the error message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced

comes up, the thing is i need to use my windows 2000 discs to repair the file, just one problem i don t have the discs because its a second hand computer.

is there any way i can download the file i need or buy the discs from somewhere, and if i do use the discs will it wipe the info from my hard drive?

thanks guys just im beginning to get tempted to take it to PC world to get it fixed!

thanks guys just im beginning to get tempted to take it to PC world to get it fixed!

nooo not PC World

You could:

1. Get another hard rive and install a different os on like XP then slave the hard drive with windows 2000 to it and copy your files.

2. Use some p2p filesharing software on another computer and download windows 2000 and burn it to a cd and try fixing it that way.

As I see it, that inst illegal because you already have a copy of windows 2000 on the computer. You will be able to repair to installation without wiping data if you follow the instruction on the CD.

You might need to change your computer to boot from CD in the bios.

3. try to get the disk from the person you bought the computer from.

RSN :: Wooden_Fire

Time Zone :: GMT

ok i borrowred a boot desk for 2000 from a mate but was just wondering, can this wipe my hard drive at all? because if it can then im a little screwed as ive got some important college work on it

ive found the probl;em on the microsoft website

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=269075

and it doesnt say anything about it being wiped but, some of my mates who are better with computers than me have said that that could happen

thanks again guys

ok i borrowred a boot desk for 2000 from a mate but was just wondering, can this wipe my hard drive at all? because if it can then im a little screwed as ive got some important college work on it

ive found the probl;em on the microsoft website

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=269075

and it doesnt say anything about it being wiped but, some of my mates who are better with computers than me have said that that could happen

thanks again guys

If you have a CD burner and drive, you could try using a Linux Live Disc (ubuntu comes off the top of my mind.) to copy your data to disks or an off-computer location for backup.

Now that you have the Win2k disc, use the "repair" option to clean it up.

1. At the Welcome to Setup menu, press R

2. Press R to continue the repair process

3. Press M for Manual Repair

4. Press ENTER

5. Follow the remaining instructions to repair Win2k.

Your data files should be fine.

ok ive done this but, i need the administrator password, the thing is its an ex work pc my dad was given and since he got it hes left the place he worked. i dont know the pass and i dont think he does is there any way to reset it or something? ive tried all the standard ones, admin, password etc.

one of my mates also said there is another option. i do have windows xp startup disks and he said that if i booted from that if i choose upgrade instead of full install then it would install xp on my computer (thus fixing the problem) without deleting anything from my hard drive. would this help to fix my problem and would i need the administrator password for this too?

If you can get to it in Safe mode, or with the boot disk...do this:

Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Users and Passwords for this to appear:

userpasswords0od.jpg

Click the check box at the top for the [set Password...] button to be activated. Select Administrator from the list of users, then click [set Password...] for this to appear:

resetpw9tk.jpg

Key your new password twice, then click [OK] to return to the previous dialog box.

Click [Apply]. If you don't want to have to log in every time you boot the machine, deselect the check box at the top again, then click [Apply]. You may get a pop up window that tells you to specify the user that will be logging in regularly. Type your username (from the list) and enter a password, or leave it blank, then click [OK], and [OK] on the previous dialog box.

I hope this works for you.