Global announcement when the rules change

I don't know when they last changed, but I do know that the rules have been modified in my time here. It is a little difficult to know when the main forum rules are modified for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't ever visit the forum index. I go directly to the forums I want to view by changing the f=90/whatever parts of the URL. I don't know how many other people do this, but I'd imagine some do. Anyway, that's not the main reason for this suggestion.

2. The rules topic is just edited. There aren't any new posts in it so they don't show up in the index.

So I think it would be good if, when the rules were modified, an admin made a global announcement to...announce it. That way we could all know when there were new rules to adhere to as opposed to being accidentally found in contravention of them without our knowing of their existence. Creating this occasional global announcement may even encourage some people to read the rules for the first time, you never know.

One could say "you should regularly check the rules", but in reality how many users do this. On top of that, how much effort is it for 100,000 users to check the rules weekly compared to 1 admin taking 5 minutes to post an announcement. What's more, the rules don't even change particularly often.

Another suggestion would be to highlight new modifications to the rules in another colour. When the next modifications are made highlight those, whilst returning the previous modification to the standard colour. The new part of the rules could also even be included in the global announcement.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Thanks for posting.

The most recent significant rules update was globally announced on June 20th. The only changes made since then were to add further descriptives/clarity to rules that already existed. The content of the announcement was updated to reflect the current rules.

Tip.it Forum Rules - New Version! Updated Layout, etc.

- Ard