C/C my 1st pixel plz =)

Guest Dreamlove

Guest Dreamlove

AddyRockandRunePick.png

well i made this for a fren who is an addy miner... seriously need advice on how do i continue as its too small and empty right now... i need advice on shading also... now its looks so layered and weird

any C/C, whether good or bad, is appreciated... thx :)

Guest Dreamlove
I'd say try going for a better concept. You can't really do much with that one.

Pick is out of proportion and the shading is a little wacked, but until you do a better one I can't really say much.

i know the shading is wacked.... but, hmm, how is the pick out of proportion? :?

and ya, i have no idea of a background yet... yep im a very much of a beginner :D

Not bad for a first try, you have a good grasp of pixel shading, which is good.

Here's the first thing you can tackle: add a border. :) They improve any sig by 20%.

The font color is too bright, use a softer font color that contrasts against the black background without flashing your eyes out.

Clean the black dots around the outlines so they can't be seen. I don't clean my outlines that much because then I lose the thickness factor in some lines that make the sig more interesting, but that's up to the sigmaker.

Don't do random shading, where you shade from one side to another without knowing the 3D shape of the object or the light source. Rocks are usually zigzaged shaded and don't have a dark and light side, they have dark and light limits in between. Shade the pick axe handle so one lenght side of it is bright, and goes around to becoming dark on the other length side.

Maybe a simple background would make the sig cooler, or a nice color pattern.

So far so good. :)

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

I'd say try going for a better concept. You can't really do much with that one.

Pick is out of proportion and the shading is a little wacked, but until you do a better one I can't really say much.

i know the shading is wacked.... but, hmm, how is the pick out of proportion? :?

and ya, i have no idea of a background yet... yep im a very much of a beginner :D

I mean that the handle is a little to short for that pick head... or vice versa.

Guest Dreamlove

Here's the first thing you can tackle: add a border. :) They improve any sig by 20%.

The font color is too bright, use a softer font color that contrasts against the black background without flashing your eyes out.

Clean the black dots around the outlines so they can't be seen. I don't clean my outlines that much because then I lose the thickness factor in some lines that make the sig more interesting, but that's up to the sigmaker.

Don't do random shading, where you shade from one side to another without knowing the 3D shape of the object or the light source. Rocks are usually zigzaged shaded and don't have a dark and light side, they have dark and light limits in between. Shade the pick axe handle so one lenght side of it is bright, and goes around to becoming dark on the other length side.

changed the font colour and added a white border, but i dont really understand what do you mean by cleaning up the outlines... :?

any examples of zigzag shading? as in the top part of the rock and the bottom part darken weirdly? or?

the pickaxe handle... u mean as in one verticle shading and not horizontal? lol i dont understand artist jargon :lol:

changed the font colour and added a white border, but i dont really understand what do you mean by cleaning up the outlines... :?

any examples of zigzag shading? as in the top part of the rock and the bottom part darken weirdly? or?

the pickaxe handle... u mean as in one verticle shading and not horizontal? lol i dont understand artist jargon :lol:

Well best answer I could give to that is to check the RS rocks and see their shading in the game. Another way is to just check RL stuff and how it gets dark and light. Whenever in doubt about how something looks or shades, just check the real thing in the game or in RL. The last thing I do is trust my memory. :lol:

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

Guest Dreamlove
Oh, they're addy rocks.. My bad I thought they were Hills until I saw your friend was a Addy miner, But really I have no right to dis it because I can't

pixel sig either, But for a first try thats one of the best i've seen. 4/10 :wink:

thx for the compliment! and what hills have a pickaxe? :P

I like it.. add a character there and maybe some kind of background (maybe more rocks)...

mm 6/10 better than my first!

thx for the rate :) and he seemed pretty happy with it being plain, as its an ava... he's using it in his clan forums only tho :?

I'd say 7/10 because theres still no background and i suggest you work on a bigger scale... somthin like 300x150 pixels, and might wanna add a miner and a background :P

edit: they definately dont look like hills, what a jerk.