Art Tatum - The Greatest Musician of All Time

KnightLite

Anybody else a fan of this amazing pianist?

Tatum, unfortunately is not as well known as he should be... He was without question, the greatest musician genious to walk this planet. His lighting quick dexterity was only overmatched by his musical mind. He did things that nobody has been able to replicate.

Now.. I'm well aware that Tip It boards are dominated by rock fans, and i'm sure a few of you are going to read "the greatest musician to walk this planet" and go "Nuh-uh!!"

Spare me.. spare everybody. :boohoo:

Not to take anything away from rock, I like the genre, and many guitar guru's have risen to fame. Nobody compares to Tatum, however.

He was born blind in Toledo, Ohio in 1908. At the age of four, he started attending a school for blind children, where he quickly learned to become a pianist. By the age of 15, he had already become one of the greatest pianists of the world.

He died at to soon of an early age in 1956 after suffering from heart problems, caused by a lifelong drinking problem.

Below i've added some music of his.

Unless you are a musician yourself, it's almost hard to comprehend his godly ability.

Tiger Rag:

http://rapidshare.com/files/41883070/Tiger_Rag.mp3.html

Elegy: - You must listen to 2:12 and beyond

http://rapidshare.com/files/41884428/Elegy.mp3.html

Liza: - you need itunes to open this file, listen to 1:30 and beyond

http://rapidshare.com/files/41884998/12 ... 1.m4a.html

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

I can't really listen to music like that on my computer. I'll see if I can find a CD of his next week. Is there something you could recommend?

On a side kind of thingy. Could you recommend me some more pianists? Not really the boring stuff, it has got to be exciting. I listened to something Glenn Gould did a couple of weeks ago (well. he didn't really do it a couple of weeks ago, since he's dead for more than 20 years, but I listened to it a couple of weeks ago), and that was fantatic. It was work by Bach that he played. I'd like to go on a 'journey' myself, but I've got to have a start. :)

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Why can't you listen to music like that on your computer?

Great pianists... I'd listen to Art Tatum, try and pickup any of his albums... the 'Pablo Series' is a huge collection, but expensive :S

Oscar Peterson was also an amazing pianist, same with Johnny Costa (the pianist for Mr Rogers Neighborhood)

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

Because I can only listen to pop-music and the likes when I'm on the computer. Need to concentrate a bit when I listen to that music. Sorry.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!