XChat, can someone help me with this please.

Kill_Life

Hey all,

I got XChat today, I think it's good... If it would work :lol:

So, I want to enter Tip.It Chat, I got everything right to connect to it.

When I click the 'Connect'-button, it tries to connect, and then I get:

'Connection failed. The software on your hostcomputer has broken the connection' (I've tried to translate as good as possible).

Help please <3:

Thanks in advance.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

Do you have a firewall blocking xchat or port 6667? Check to make sure xchat is allowed to connect to anywhere and that port 6667 is allowed to be used for connections.

That sounds like it might be "Software caused connection abort" which sometimes occurs when you're banned from a server (that may not be you specifically, but someone with a similar host/nickname/ident/etc.) and the connection is closed soon after opening.

Can you connect to other networks?

That sounds like it might be "Software caused connection abort" which sometimes occurs when you're banned from a server (that may not be you specifically, but someone with a similar host/nickname/ident/etc.).

You get the ban message if it was a server ban, not the annoying 'Software caused connection abort' error.

Have you checked to see if your firewall/router allows connections via port 6667? Also, are you on some kind of school/uni/work network? If you are, they could be blocking the connection with a hardware firewall somewhere between you and the IRC server.

Edit: You might also try connecting on any port between 6660 and 6669, port 6697 or 7000. 6697 is typically for SSL connections but the server isn't set up for SSL at the moment.

That sounds like it might be "Software caused connection abort" which sometimes occurs when you're banned from a server (that may not be you specifically, but someone with a similar host/nickname/ident/etc.).

You get the ban message if it was a server ban, not the annoying 'Software caused connection abort' error.

I did say "sometimes", and it does happen: sometimes. The best-case scenario of receiving a ban message doesn't affect that.

I'm not sure what causes it, primarily because I can't be bothered to open up a packet sniffer to check. I've seen it on multiple [Windows] computers, clients and IRCds, although most often I experience it when I connect to UnderNet without identd and neglect to type the /quote PASS command when prompted. In those instances I receive a g-line notification and a clean disconnect, then receive 10053 on each reconnect until the ban expires.

Does using the java client let you connect at all? It most likely won't if it's some kind of firewall problem blocking port 6667.

I'm out of ideas beyond that. It still sounds like a firewall problem of some kind but I can't think of anything else to do to troubleshoot it anymore. :?

so you can't use xchat or the java client, the firewall seems ok, sounds to me like it is something on your computer, could you use the java client before installing xchat?

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Appreciate Bacteria! It's the only form of culture some people have.

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!