A New PC

fakeeoghan

Well I need a new pc because the one I have is useless for games and it's really slow. I had a look at some of the sites mentioned in the sticky about best places to buy online form but I dont know what graphics cards are good, what parts should cost what, etc. I was wondering if somebody could tell me ehat to get within a budget of maybe 2,000 euro. Im living in Europe if you havent guessed, dont know if that makes a difference. I have good speakers, thats about it :D so u can leave them out. It would be really cool if you could help me out here

I would recomend getting something along the lines of:

An AMD64 Processor of some kind, 3500+ perhaps?

1024 MB DDR RAM

A Geforce 6800GT 256mb graphics card

A S-ATA harddrive

It's a bit harder to be more precise when you haven't specified what store to go by :P

Well I dont know where I should buy it. Thanks for the help. If I was to build my own pc, what exactly would I need to buy, like how many different things? Is the graphics card already in the harddrive or seperate? All I know of so far is 5 seperate parts; monitor, harddrive, keyboard/mouse, speakers. Is that it? I have a modem.

What you are talking about are accessories, the actual computer is the box, what you might call the harddrive.

The computer consists of a few different parts:

The motherboard

The bloodsystem of the computer, this is where you plug everything else in.

The processor

The brain of the computer, this component does the calculations etc.

The memory

The component were the processor stores temporary information while it's in use.

The harddrive

A magnetic storage drive, it's where you store your files and programs.

The graphics card

It is possible for the processor to do all calculations regarding graphics, but it's not very effective. To improve performance, computers have a special grahpics processor.

The soundcard

This is the component that allows you to transfer sound from the box to the speakers.

The networkcard

This card makes it possible to connect the computer to a network, or to the internet via broadband.

Beyond that there are also optional things like optical drives (CD/DVD), floppies, controller cards, firewire, USB etc.

But you know, to be honest, I don't think building a computer is the way to go if you don't know these things. You're better off buying one pre-built, from Dell for example.

Thanks alot for the help. I was going to build my own (with the help of a couple of friends who know alot more than me) as I heard it was the best way to go in terms of price and quality. I just wanted a bit more information so that I might understand what my friends are on about. Thanks again for the help

if you want a really geeky definition of processor, it is a device used to manipulate data and code into a form of representational data which humans can understand

Wow most valuable information yet. Thank you too :wink: