Music genre thread. Teambuilding for tip.it:P

How2PK

Music genres

Yay! Another music thread. :D I really like music, and I can listen to basically everything, with some exceptions of course. But I canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t really say whatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s what kind of genre in music. Anyway, there are a lot of different music genres and also a lot of subgenres in a genre, and I donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t really know how to do a good search about it on the net, so IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m asking you, tip-itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢eers, to join and do the work. And I also see a lot of people saying different things about songs from certain bands/solo artists about genres, so I guess there are other people with the same problem as the problem that I have.

What IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m hoping to achieve is:

- A list of the basic music genres, and how you can recognize them, what are their specifications, and a short part about their history.

- A list of the various sub genres (not all, which would a rather large job, I think) and how you can recognize them and what their specifications are, and a short part about their history.

- Some classic and modern bands of each genre that have been important to the genre, and some classic hits.

- An interesting discussion about the genreÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s specifications etc. that hopefully will be open for everybody, not only the tip.it music gurus that can be held in a normal way.

- A good and informative thread about music genres.

It would be nice if everybody who wants to participate in this list wrote an own part about the various genres, post those parts discuss with others and come to a description that everybodyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s happy with. It would be nice if we did a few genres each, and not just one, which would automatically be your favourite genre, of course I canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t oblige that to you lot, I donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t own your time. And if everybody has any suggestion about other thins that should be in the list, feel free to give them.

There can be some flaming but do it in a fun way, not too hard and not too much. ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s it, I think.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

^^ That's a really really good one.

Ska

Characterised by it's uplifting nature - ska is almost invariably played on the upbeat. It almost always uses horns. You'll recognise it because you'll just have to move to it.

It came from Jamaica as an offshoot of reggae (original ska is very close to reggae) and has since been adopted by some punk-y bands to produce ska-punk - a faster, but still upbeat music. This modern ska-punk was first introduced by Operation Ivy and Less Than Jake. Listening to ska-punk will make you happy.

Don't know any old bands, but modern ones are:

Less Than Jake

Reel Big Fish

Sublime

Farse

Mustard Plug

Catch-22

Guest GhostRanger
^^ That's a really really good one.

Ska

Characterised by it's uplifting nature - ska is almost invariably played on the upbeat. It almost always uses horns. You'll recognise it because you'll just have to move to it.

It came from Jamaica as an offshoot of reggae (original ska is very close to reggae) and has since been adopted by some punk-y bands to produce ska-punk - a faster, but still upbeat music. This modern ska-punk was first introduced by Operation Ivy and Less Than Jake. Listening to ska-punk will make you happy.

Don't know any old bands, but modern ones are:

Less Than Jake

Reel Big Fish

Sublime

Farse

Mustard Plug

Catch-22

Yay! I'm so glad you posted about Ska, its wonderful. 3 of my really good friends are in a Ska band who started off playing some Reel Big Fish covers and I just saw Catch-22 in a couple weeks ago. I'm going to see a local ska show tonight! :P