Answered

blue192

I wonder if anybody could help me. I was using a computer with only DOS on it, and I was copying files to another drive. I typed:

md c:\mypics

move *.* c:\pypics

I now have a 4 megabyte file named "pypics" that contains all the files meant for the folder "mypics". I don't have the origional files anymore. I've moved the file (with winrar for dos if u care how i used floppies to do it) to this computer which runs WinXP. If I change the extension of the file to .bmp, I can see the first file that is in this file lump. How can I get all my other pictures back?? (.bmp, .gif, .jpg)

The only way I can think of just now to extract your pictures is to use a Hex Editor, and some understanding for how DOS files are stored. Essentially the first 100 bytes of the files is the header. Depending on how the operation you did on the files the headers may or may not still be there. what you would need to do is to separate off the file but saving that separately, and then either recreate the heeader, if not there, then move along from the beginnig of the big file splitting it up manually. This is a very difficult task, and will take a long time. Probably better to recreate/ find anothe copy of your pictures.

I'll see how that workes Yosilas.

Thanks. It worked, I think. I've got 18 useable files out of it, all of a normal size. I lost about 30 kb of data I think but overall, it was successful.

If someone wants to see if they can find the other picture that I think is in there somewhere, I can send them the file (98.8 kb compressed).