Can a new hard drive be installed on a Dell computer?

im1knight

I have a 4 years old Dell computer, which is pretty slow, but recently the hard drive broke, and since the warranty is gone long time ago, we have to get a new one... So..um... Is it possible to just buy a HD and install on the Dell pre-build computer? Cuz my friend tried before, and he said it won't work, so i'm just trying to get an firm answer... If you know, please answer.

Also, if it won't work, Can someone help me building a computer that's around $500? The computer is for my mom, she doesn't play games of any sort, all she does with it is just go online, check email, and do word processing. But the current Dell one is so slow ( Intel Pentium 4 HT@ 3.0ghz, 512Ram,400GB hard drive, which broke.. and a really old ATI graphic card), so i'm looking for a build that's fast enough for word processing and web browsing. and i live in US.

thank you for helpig :D

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

As an answer to your main question: Yes, but it's not worth it. Get a new computer.

I would strongly recommend a Dell with Ubuntu Linux. It's fast, entirely free, and has everything you listed, and of course more. It might take a little bit of getting used to as far as user interfaces go, but after that it's smooth.

C2b6gs7.png

yes, and it is very, very easy to do. Since its an older computer, most likley you will have an IDE interface. Open up the computer case and look at the cable connecting the motherboard (the big green board in the center of the case) to the hard drive (it should be in a rack on the upper right of the case, mounted just below the CD drive(s)). If the cable connecting it is a long, wide gray cable that looks like a ribbon, then it's an IDE drive, if it's a small, square red cable, its a SATA drive. Either way, a replacement can be had for anywhere from 50$ to 150$, depending on the capasity you want. If you live in the US I strongly recommend buying the drive off of newegg.com. Not only are the prices significantly less then what you would find at a store, but they are renowned for good customer service. As long as you get the right drive for the connection standard your computer uses (IDE or SATA) just about any drive you buy should be 100% compatible with your computer. The only other thing you have to worry about is the size of the drive - make sure you buy a 3.5 inch drive, not a 2.5 or 1.8. the 3.5 inch standard is desktop hard drives. The smaller two sizes are for laptops and high end servers and their connectors will not work with a desktop without an adapter.

this is a 500GB IDE drive that should work perfectly with your computer. It costs 80$.

Drive installation itself is easy. Just pull the old drive out of the computer (on old dells there should be green plastic rails holding the drive in), unscrew the rails off the old drive and screw them into the pretapped holes on the new drive. Then slide it into the slot where the old drive was and reconnect the IDE cable. Boot the computer up and Presto! You have a working computer.

Um....actually....i don't have the OS disc... We didn't buy the computer from the official dell site for a cheaper price, so the computer didn't come with a recover disc.. and When i try to install XP, the windows installer says it cannot detect any hard drive when its 100% plugged in..... and for some reason, it says it cannot find a booting device on start up..

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

59.png

image_mini

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

getting an OS disk should be simple. Just call Dell with your computer's serial number and they should send you free OS disk if you ask them. They are required to do this as a term of their OEM license with Mircosoft so even if the computer is out of warranty they should provide it.

getting an OS disk should be simple. Just call Dell with your computer's serial number and they should send you free OS disk if you ask them. They are required to do this as a term of their OEM license with Mircosoft so even if the computer is out of warranty they should provide it.

o.O that's a great! i never knew that lol. ty, i guess ill call them and see what happens

Baoding.png

59.png

image_mini