Advice for a 40 DEF F2Per becoming a 45 DEF 'zerk P2Per

PinMonkey

Hello all,

A long time ago I made a rune pure for F2P with the intent of getting 40 Def/Attack and as much STR as humanly possible, however as soon as I hit 40 DEF I remembered that the Dragon Quest gives enough DEF XP to get to 41! This annoyed me slightly, but I kept training anyway and now have 80 STR, as well as a lot of different skills at semi-respectable levels. Just today I decided to sign up for membership again, and while looking at guides for Melee training came across the idea of a Berserker. This seemed like an excellent idea as it would allow me to get the DEF EXP that Dragon Slayer provides without having an ugly build. However I have a few questions:

Which quests give DEF EXP that are totally necessary for Berzerkers?

Can these be done and still give less than 5 levels of DEF EXP?

How important is Prayer in these builds? To what level?

(also if anyone wants to link me to a nice P2P melee training guide for lower def chars, I would be grateful :D)

Thanks

TL;DR? Can I become a decent zerker in less than 5 levels of DEF?

Hello all,

A long time ago I made a rune pure for F2P with the intent of getting 40 Def/Attack and as much STR as humanly possible, however as soon as I hit 40 DEF I remembered that the Dragon Quest gives enough DEF XP to get to 41! This annoyed me slightly, but I kept training anyway and now have 80 STR, as well as a lot of different skills at semi-respectable levels. Just today I decided to sign up for membership again, and while looking at guides for Melee training came across the idea of a Berserker. This seemed like an excellent idea as it would allow me to get the DEF EXP that Dragon Slayer provides without having an ugly build. However I have a few questions:

Which quests give DEF EXP that are totally necessary for Berzerkers?

Can these be done and still give less than 5 levels of DEF EXP?

How important is Prayer in these builds? To what level?

(also if anyone wants to link me to a nice P2P melee training guide for lower def chars, I would be grateful :D)

Thanks

TL;DR? Can I become a decent zerker in less than 5 levels of DEF?

Well I don't suggest you do the Dragon Slayer quest since you won't be wearing Rune Plates or D'Hide bodies as a Zerker Pure.

As for quests you should do, these are the absolute musts:

-Lost City

-The Grand Tree

-Tree Gnome Village

-Monkey Madness

-The Freminik Trials

Completing 'Lost City' allows you to equip the DDS, a weapon which you will definitely be using frequently.

'The Grand Tree' and 'Tree Gnome Village' are required in order to complete 'Monkey Madness', plus they give you a total of 29,850 Attack EXP, bringing you that much closer to 60/70 Attack.

'Monkey Madness' of course is needed to equip the D Scim, even if you won't be using it while PKing as a Zerker pure you'll need it for Strength training.

'The Freminik Trials' is pretty self-explanitory; it allows you to equip the Zerker helmet.

These quests are ones which I highly suggest you complete:

-Waterfall Quest

-The Holy Grail (Merlin's Crystal)*

-Troll Stronghold (Death Plateau)*

-Fight Arena

* = Pre-Requisites

'Waterfall Quest' provides you with 13,750 Attack AND Strength experience, what more could you ask for?

'The Holy Grail' provides you with 11,000 Prayer exp and 15,300 Defence exp, making your quest to 45 Defence and 52 Prayer that much easier.

'Troll Stronghold' provides you with two Ancient Lamps which gives you 10,000 exp each to any skill of your choice. I suggest you use them on Prayer in order to save money on D-Bones.

'Fight Arena' just provides you with 12,175 Attack exp, along with a healthy 2,175 Thieving exp.

Of course there are other quests which you'll need to do ('Priest in Peril' for access to Canifis; 'Druidic Ritual' for Herblore), but these quests are the ones which will help you become a Zerker Pure.

As for your Defence, by completing 'The Holy Grail' and obtaining 15,300 exp for Defence, you'll be 43 Defence. If you choose to get the extra exp rewarded after completing Monkey Madness (choose to get 35k exp in Hits & Strength), you'll receive 20k exp in Defence and Attack, making you'll be 46 Defence. If you don't mind the extra Defence level then go ahead and do those quests, but if you want to purely 45 Defence, then you'll have to choose one of them. I'd go with 'The Holy Grail' if you don't want to spend too much money on Prayer, but if you don't mind spending a bit more on D-Bones then go with the extra exp rewarded after completing Monkey Madness.

Prayer is very important in a Zerker build, it's a must to have 52 Prayer for Smite because you'll want to try and obtain your opponents Whip/GS by emptying their prayer. Also it's a very nasty scenario when you're up against someone who's using Smite and you're not.

As for training, Pest Control is good if you don't want to waste food, and it also gives you PC points so you can use them to get extra Strength exp. Fire Giants are also good since they have good drops and provide good exp. Pretty much any monsters which you can kill and has decent drops are ones you should be training on.

FMAsig.jpg

[If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Thank you Sir; That is exactly what I needed to know.

Just finally, you think the Dragon Scimitar is a better reward than Full Plate and Dragon Hide? I know about the Fight Torso, but what about a replacement for Black D-Hide Chest? Also, I didn't think whips had a STR training mode - so if these are used (even just in PVP) does this mean eventually the Berserker will end up with additional attack levels?

Thank you Sir; That is exactly what I needed to know.

Just finally, you think the Dragon Scimitar is a better reward than Full Plate and Dragon Hide? I know about the Fight Torso, but what about a replacement for Black D-Hide Chest? Also, I didn't think whips had a STR training mode - so if these are used (even just in PVP) does this mean eventually the Berserker will end up with additional attack levels?

Well, if you really want to do Dragon Slayer then you can complete it as well as The Holy Grail quest, but you won't be able to get the extra Def and Attack exp awarded after doing Monkey Madness, as it will put you over 45 Defence. The whip only has controlled, attack and defensive styles, so you can't train strength effeciently; yes it means that you will end up getting additional attack levels, but you don't have to use a whip in PVP, a D Scim will suffice (minus some strength bonuses).

FMAsig.jpg

[If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Would I be better off starting again? I guess in reality I am less than 1/4th the way to 99 STR, so it wouldn't be that outrageous.

EDIT: Stuff it, I will just do the Monkey Trials quest for a Scim. Thanks so much for your help Bongo_Man