Cost of Pietying?

tylersk8shop

I was just wondering an aprox cost of 99 Strength by Pietying Slayer. Below I posted my strength EXP, So if theres any way you can find out, Please do. Btw, My prayer boosting gear would be: Initiate Top, Veracs Skirt, Saradomin Sword, God Cloak (Maybe Fire Cape). I'm also 70 Prayer.

*** [ TYLERSK8SHOP ]: [strength] lvl: 95 | exp: 9,563,899 (73.3% of 99) - I need about 3.5M Strength EXP For 99 Strength.

All help is apreciated, Thanks :).

128+ Combat \\ 1900+ Total Level \\ 85M+ EXP

5,999th To 99 Woodcutting Achieved June 27, 2007

66,931st To 99 Strength Achieved January 23rd, 2009

Draconic Visage: 1+ \\ DK Drops: 169+ \\ GWD Drops: 74+

I wouldn't recommend using Piety for all of the tasks. Seeing as how you have 90+ in all combat stats all you really need is a super set for maximum pwnage. The cost of prayer potions for using Piety is totally not worth it. It may save you a few minutes per task but you're basically throwing away money each task.

Snow_Miner.png

Slayer Drops

Dragon Chainbody (dust devil), Dragon Platelegs x2, Dragon Plateskirt x3, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x5, Dragon Spear x3, Shield Left Half x4

Staff of Light x2, Abyssal Whip x16, Dark Bow x17, Granite Maul x17, Focus Sight, Hexcrest x2, Black Mask x4, Leaf-bladed Sword, Mystic x31, Obsidian x13, Brine Sabre x2, Spirit Shield, Dragonstone x5

E. Piety

You may have noticed that the time values at which Superhuman Strength becomes worth it are much lower than what some people value time at; for example, people with 91+ runecrafting typically value time at over 1M per hour. Therefore, one could suspect that higher level prayers could be worth it for some people.

I could talk about Ultimate Strength, or using both Improved Reflexes and Superhuman Strength, and you could do one of those if you wanted. However, I would like to jump right to talking about the highest level: using Piety.

I used to discourage the use of Piety because of the huge usage of prayer potions. However, I actually started using it myself and really liked it.

I still need to do more exact calculations, but assume that Piety allows you to do tasks 20% faster than using no prayer.

There are two good options for your top and bottom: Bandos top and bottom, or a Proselyte top and Veracs skirt. Yes, a Proselyte top even without Protect from Melee is a perfectly reasonable option because of its huge prayer bonus. Piety also gives a large defence bonus which helps make up for the loss of defence if you wear Proselyte. However, realize that Proselyte legs should not be worn (unless you don't need the defence bonus) because they only give +1 more prayer than Veracs skirt.

With a +9 prayer bonus (Amulet of fury, Fire cape, Bandos tassets, and Bandos chestplate), Piety drains 1830 prayer points per hour.

With a +19 prayer bonus (Amulet of fury, Fire cape, Proselyte cuisse, and Veracs skirt), Piety drains 1500 prayer points per hour.

Going off the first number, you can use 13.86 prayer potions (4) at 99 prayer to save 8.33 minutes per hour of meleeing.

Thus, assuming prayer pots (4) at 8k each, 111k is spent to save 8.33 minutes: That's 800k spent to save an hour.

Thus, if the above calculations are correct, you should use Piety if you value time at over 800k per hour, have 99 prayer, and have a +9 prayer bonus on tasks.

It seems that if you have 91+ runecrafting, you should use Piety when training slayer. Of course, there are other reasons besides 91+ runecrafting to value your time that highly as well, such as being very good at killing the bosses in the Godwars Dungeon, or being good at merchanting.

Some people may argue that carrying enough prayer potions to last an entire task is not possible. However, even without a better Beast of Burden than a Spirit Terrorbird, I was able to do every task except Dark Beasts in one trip. Now, with a pack yak, I can easily do any Dark Beasts task in one trip. But for people with lower prayer and lower other combat stats, that could be more of a problem. For problematic tasks, simply cut back and use Ultimate Strength or both Superhuman Strength and Improved Reflexes, and use Piety on only nonproblematic tasks. You also could just bank really fast if the monster is close enough to a bank (like Gargoyles, maybe Black Demons).

Note that the 20% faster I stated for using Piety is under good conditions. If your cannon is doing most of the damage, or if you have to spend a long time running to the next monster, Piety might not help as much as 20%. For example, at Kalphites tasks, there isn't much point in using over Superhuman Strength.

But obviously my calculations aren't for ideal conditions of constant hitting, since that would mean Piety would be over 25% faster.

So pretty much that's 800k spent to save an hour. So calculate the normal time it would take to get 99 strength, divide it by two and multiply by 800k. That's your cost.