Computer Will not Sleep Properly

Sindarin00

Hey Everyone,

I have another perplexing problem. On my computer, there is a sleep button, which everyone knows about. We also know, that when this button is pressed, the computer basically shuts down, and allows for quick startup. What we also know, is that everything shuts off....

Or it used too...

When I hit my sleep button, my processor/hard drives/monitor/video card will all turn off, but all of my fans keep running. It never used to do this before.

I also know that I have no spyware and no viruses.

Any Ideas??? 8-)

sindarin00.png

[hide=Drops]Barrows: Ahrim's Robeskirt (2)

Dragon: Plateskirt (3) : Left Halfs (2) : Med Helm (1) : Boots (14) : Spear (3)

Treasure Trails: Sara Platebody (1)

Slayer: Leaf Bladed Sword (9) : Granite Helm (3) : Granite Maul (1) : Black Mask (3) : Abyssal Whip (2)

Other: Obby Cape (1) : Obby Maul (2)

Splits: Shield Left Half (1) : Dragon Med Helm (4)[/hide]

To be honest, I wouldn't say this is a disadvantage or bad thing. To allow for quick start-up as you said, some components of the pc must remain on, or in a not-fully-off state. To keep them from overheating, then fans simply cool them down. An example of this NOT in action is the Wii in WiiConnect24 mode. It stays half-way on, but there are no fans to cool down the half-way on components, which leads to overheating issues with the Wii. When you mention this just started now, it's possible that an update from Windows or your hardware manufacturer added this feature. What are you computer specs?

tipitsig.png

The computer Boots up, and runs just fine. Nothing is wrong with it...

I have

Intel Pentium D 2.66 GHz

2 GB Ram

Audigy Sound Blaster Card

Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT Graphics Card

Running Windows XP

I do not remember installing any windows updates in the last few days.

I did update my sound/video drivers though. As far as I can remember, when you put the computer into sleep, everything turns off, and it just holds the info in the cache and not have any fans running.

sindarin00.png

Slayer: Leaf Bladed Sword (9) : Granite Helm (3) : Granite Maul (1) : Black Mask (3) : Abyssal Whip (2)

I know that it's something normal with Windows XP Media Center Edition. If it's not the version of XP you have, maybe it can be something in the updates like someone suggested. And if they're set to be automatic, you will not always see them through, I would check ;).

I have windows XP home, so it is nothing with the media player version. I will try that later, maybe letting it cool down some more so we will see what happens. It did it again last night when i went to put it into sleep.

I have my updates set to tell me before download and before install, so nothing gets installed without me knowing.

Any other tips/ideas???

sindarin00.png