Windows Movie Maker & Norton

InkofDeath

Yea, Norton is hated by a lot of people for very good reasons, yet I have it anyways.

However I do need help for a workaround or actual fix. Recently I've been looking through for transitions/effects from users on communities who use WMM. I recently found a community and found my way to this:

http://www.rehanfx.org/shader.htm

So I downloaded it.

However all the additional transitions & effects always default back to the 'fade out' to the left transition, instead of playing the actual custom transition/effect.

I contacted the creator of the program or whatever you want to call it, and we eventually found out that Norton was blocking the program from registering or whatever.

Here's quotes from the email:

[hide=saving space - quotes]

Thanks for your detailed message. It seems the installation has not completed successfully. The behaviour you describe would happen if the plugin is not registered. You can try manual registration by opening up a command window as an Administrator and running:

regsvr32 C:\Program Files\RehanFX\ShaderTFX\shadertfx.dll

However I think the reason installer couldnt do it might also prevent you from doing it manually. You need to find out the cause of that failure. I have seen reports of such failures when there is an over-protecting software on the system such as Norton, or when the default user does not have a password specified. Is any of these conditions true?

Regardless I received this error message:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9008/wmmhelpcl6.png

*I receive this error with or without WMM being open.

*Yes, I know I missed the quotes the first three times.

From the screenshot it is clear that the registration is not succeeding. Norton is known for its non-standard methods of protection which cause such problems. Basically it changes the default privilages on the registry paths such as HKLM and HKCU. It would only allow these to be accessed by known installations and programs. When a humble but honest program such as my ShaderTFX tries to access the registry it doesnt acknowledge. I am not sure how to resolve it as I dont have Norton installed.
[/hide]

So hopefully the general problem is apparent to you all. Do any of you have any ideas/links to fixes or possible solutions?

Thanks!

--

WMM = Version 6.001

O/S = Vista

This Post Has My Hardware